PetSmart "aquarium" plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sguthrie

.???`?.?>
Feb 26, 2004
GA
Visit site
I should probably just let this thread die now, but I REALLY want to vent about these freaking tubes.

Upon entering an unnamed LFS, I was amazed by the large expanse of supplies, tanks, etc. Walking toward the tanks in the back, I acknowledge the local shopkeeps near the register. Dude walks to me and says in a helpful tone, "You just looking around, or can I help you find something?"
I reply, "Well, I'm hoping to find some plants. Do you have plants?"
"They're over here," he says. I walk around the rack of tanks to see a nice stack of these freaking yellow tubes. My heart sinks. "People love these plants," he says.
I reply with a courteous "right on."
He then tells me about a wider selection of plants near the front of the store. I'm thinking, "Show me the lush, planted tank with schools of neons and flora as far as the eye can see." Nope. Another stack of freaking yellow tubes...

While I'm not big on conspiracy theory, I believe that these yellow tubes facilitate the ripping off of the less-educated consumer. When some of the non-aquatic plants die, the customers return to the store to hear someone say "You don't have enough light" or "You should try this Flourish" instead of "You should pot these plants immediately and place them near the window." My God, it's past ten o'clock and I need some freaking coffee.

--Sam

(I also want to add a thank you to folks in LFSs and big box stores that work hard to educate people before allowing them to make uninformed decisions. Having worked for a big box (non aquatic) retailer, I understand that educating a customer often presents a seemingly poor business model to the "brainpower" up at the top.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store