Petsmart Guy Was Wrong. What now?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
I wish people read more before they jumped into aquaria...and what do you mean by suckerfish? Pleco?

not exactly the most constructive response towards somebody new to fish........ :shakehead:

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
I love the three goldfish in the chi picture....perfect example of teaching the consumer to kill their fish

Prohibit

AC Members
Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
Real Name
Ray

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
yeah, i looked at that thread and the home-made lid. i do see there is a bit of overhang, which is ok with that screen/divider material, since the holes in it give air flow and will keep condensation from dripping to the edge of the lid and down the outside of the tank. but if you go with a plexiglass lid you will want it to just rest on the edges of the tank and not overhang, or else you may end up with condensation dripping out. and you may want to leave a small area open at the back of the tank to allow for air exchange.

here's a quick example: (this is my drawing, not my kiddo's.... i swear! hahaha)

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Prohibit

AC Members
Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
Real Name
Ray
yeah, i looked at that thread and the home-made lid. i do see there is a bit of overhang, which is ok with that screen/divider material, since the holes in it give air flow and will keep condensation from dripping to the edge of the lid and down the outside of the tank. but if you go with a plexiglass lid you will want it to just rest on the edges of the tank and not overhang, or else you may end up with condensation dripping out. and you may want to leave a small area open at the back of the tank to allow for air exchange.

here's a quick example: (this is my drawing, not my kiddo's.... i swear! hahaha)

View attachment 137849
Well I also found a thread on another site where the dimensions matched. So i'm guessing he added the overhang after taking dimensions so it would sit on there. The small opening in the back would also allow me to feed easier. I'm pretty excited about all of this. PookyFish is painting the 40 gallon tank's trim black right now. The old wooden texture was beginning to look bad.

My drawing is way worse than that :)

---

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
well i am a southpaw and that was done with my mouse using my right hand, so i think i'll pour myself a celebratory drink now! hahahaha.......

Carch

AC Members
Sep 1, 2010
Carch: We have decided to get a betta for it, as far as the frog goes - do you think I would have a problem with it getting out since there is no lid on it?
You *should* be okay if you keep the water level as low as the filter intake will allow... I'd imagine 2 inches would be fine, but I'm unfamiliar with how the center filter on those works.

If you're willing to craft a hood for the tank though, like the previous posters suggested, then by all means do so. Less of a gamble.

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
I didn't know that home depot has plexi, much less that they would cut it. That solves my problem with my 1.5g hex. It comes with a little plexi (i think it was plexi) cover to place between the tank and the light hood. I'm guessing it was designed to cut down on heat coming from the light and going into the tank but I dunno. I'll get them to cut me some plexi and then I will make a DiY hood for it. I prefer "creating" DiY projects on smaller stuff. If it works out well with the 1.5, maybe move up to the 14 which has a nice typical plastic hood with light fixture but it's one of those non-flourescent bulb fixtures. I dunno what I'm saying anymore. pfffffffftt.........

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.

Prohibit

AC Members
Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
Real Name
Ray
There is one next door to the Best Buy I work at. Will have to check that out! That IS way cheap.

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store