plants feel pain

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Did anyone catch mythbusters last night? They hooked up a plant to a lie detector, and an ekg and put it through stress tests. When one leaf was harmed(slapped, burned, or even yelled at) the plant showed electrical impules in areas other than the leaf affected. Whats more, even when they THOUGHT of hurting the plant, it showed a response. dont slap your plants please

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
You know, I have heard about this before but its cool that they actually tested it and got a response. It doesn't surprise me though, plants grow and move towards better conditions(i.e. more sun light) so I would think that they would have some kind of "nervous" system to allow then to sense the difference.(maybe thats just my strange logic though :p: ) They also did a test to see if plants liked being read to and listening to music but if I remember correctly they didn't seem to really care one way or another....

...wow I feel funny talking about plants like that!!!

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I did catch that yesterday...yogurt doesn't have feelings though, so yell at live bacteria all you want. But please, keep the plant in the other room while doing it! :D

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
i think there was a study tht examined if plants scream too...then again i think that may have been a highschool bio joke. i cant remember

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
well, it just goes to show you, you can't eat anything without hurting something.....

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
i always feel just as bad for the half dead unwatered plants at the home and garden store as i do for the half dead diseased fish at walmart.

whenever i go to a home and garden store and find that the plants are dry and wilting, i always either tell an employee, and then make sure they water them, or go find the hose and do it myself!

also, did they test how the plant feels when it is pruned and leaves are removed? i didn't catch that episode, but i wish i had.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
"In order to survive, you have to kill something else"
2 The Ranting Gryphon has a fantastic rant on vegitarians/meat eaters that is absolutely hilarious. It's pretty vulgar, otherwise I would post a link.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store