plants feel pain

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Emg said:
who was it that had on thier siggy...."Vegitarians are people who can't hear carrots scream" :p:
that is hysterical
i wonder
if people think plants feel pain, then i wonder if they are all going to look at the sun for nourishment like that one lady on Wife Swap! i remeber she was a vegan but she was also trying to stop eating by looking at the sun for hours!

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
If plants feel pain then quite frankly I'm glad I'm not one. Seriously, why would God or evolution or anything give a capacity for pain to something that gets constantly stepped on, munched on by insects and is constantly dying and regrowing anyway? A plant probably shows electric signs anyway or picks up static. It's just a bunch of tough cells full of water. it can't sense anything.

Other than that I am going to start a campaign for the rights of Christmas trees. For too long now they have been humiliated by evil, callous humans. How would you like to be ripped out of the ground and covered in tinsel and fake snow? Huh? And also we should give grass the vote. It should have a say in whether it gets stepped on or not.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Actually, trees and plants communicate with one another so that they can protect themselves from disease and insects. I remember reading that a tree which gets infected with a disease sends out some type of signal to other trees and they begin to take necessary steps to lessen the effect or prevent it on themselves....chemical warfare I believe.

I don't know how true this info is, but I do remember reading about it in some scientivic journal or other........so..........

Remember, plants and trees are living things.....quite different than what we would consider "living"......the reason for pain is to alert the body to illness or injury so that you can do something about it. I guess it's the same with trees and plants. They need to know there is something wrong so that they can take action against it if possible. Weither or not it's a conscience thing...anything living needs to be able to protect itself so that it can continue on.

Of course.....I'm not about to run out and hug my trees anytime soon..or try to "commune" with them....lol. I'm much too practical for that ! :D

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
momar said:
Seriously, why would God or evolution or anything give a capacity for pain to something that gets constantly stepped on, munched on by insects and is constantly dying and regrowing anyway?
The same could be said for any living thing. Why do zebra feel pain if they are constantly being eaten by lions, shot by man, and are constantly giving birth to more zebras? I think EMG answered that pretty well.

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
zebras unlike grass can do something about it. And humans are the only animals for which giving birth is really painful. i'll accept this 'chemical warfare' stuff, but I think plants respond to things more like chemicals than like animals.

Rowangel

I like fish with tarter sauce
Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
momar said:
And humans are the only animals for which giving birth is really painful.
ooo, I don't think I agree with that one. My mom grew up on a farm, animals can scream during birth too. Difference is animals just can't vocalize what hurts and why in anyway we can fully understand.

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Giving birth may hurt animals to a degree, but nothing like it does for humans. This is due to the shape of the human pelvis needed in order to support humans walking upright; it means the baby has to turn 90 degrees during birth in order to move the head (which also causes its own problems due to human brain size), but this means the shoulders are in the wrong position. Other animals don't have this problem as they walk on four legs, and their pelvis is therefore shaped differently. That's also why birth in animals is so quick. However I'm sure that releasing seeds causes horrific pain for plants, poor things.:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store