Please help! Sick betta in need!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Well I have never seen a heater smaller then 50w and the rating is just a guideline. Anyways I would just get a 2.5 gallon with gravel and a heater really that's all a beta needs.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yeah, it has a thermostat so it's not like it is going to overheat the tank or anything o_O I always overdo it on wattage anyway (let's hope I never have a heater fail on and they always fail off)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Yeah, it has a thermostat so it's not like it is going to overheat the tank or anything o_O I always overdo it on wattage anyway (let's hope I never have a heater fail on and they always fail off)
putting a heater designed to heat a volume of water that is 10 gallons into a tank that is 1/4 that size will overheat the water of the 2.5 gallon, possibly to the point of cooking the fish if it gets warm enough.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Anyways I would just get a 2.5 gallon with gravel and a heater really that's all a beta needs.
it may be 'all it needs', but giving a fish more than just the basic requirements is much better. plus, all fish need a filtered environment, so omitting the filter just because it is a betta is not right.

i have had a 2.5 gallon betta tank before, but that little tank was chock full of plants and that betta was in heaven in his little jungle. other bettas i've had before i've put into tanks ranging from 10 gallons to 55 gallons. the bettas in the larger tanks seemed much much happier. my current betta in a planted 20 gallon definitely makes use of all the space.

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
The main problem is that I don't really have the space for a bigger tank. I'm looking at moving to an apartment soon that's two hours away from where I live now, and I want to keep the move as simple as possible. I plan on getting a bigger tank once I've moved in there, or when I get my next paycheck (if Lily doesn't get any better). However, Lily's bulge seems to not be getting any better. She seems to be swelling back up again, and she's bulging in places. I'm going to fast her for a few days, then try the pea trick. I haven't tried it yet, but it may solve the issue.

DSCN1353.JPGDSCN1355.JPG

DSCN1353.JPG DSCN1355.JPG

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
in that second recent pic, her scales do look like they are sticking out from the body a bit. this may or may not be the starting of dropsy symptoms. could be that she's just being a pig about food and is also full of eggs, but i do see those scales starting to stick out.

a 10 gallon tank (or even a 5 gallon) takes up very little space. a 10 gallon can be kept on a kitchen countertop. your betta will thank you for it. moving a 10 gallon is easy! just drain the water, put the fish in a tupperware with half old tank water and half new, and transport everything inside the tank (heater, filter, gravel, decor, and fish in the tupperware). put it on the back seat of a car, it takes up very little space.

you never did answer my question about your water change schedule. if we could please know this, as it could help your betta.

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
I think the scales stretching is from the swelling. I've been keeping an eye of the smoothness of her scales, and they all appear to be flush with her body even though they are stretched.

Honestly, I don't have much of a water change schedule. I change it when it needs changed. This last week, I believe I've done at least 90% water changes three times. I'm going to start doing 50% water changes weekly though, so this doesn't happen again.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
A far far too small water volume, no filtration, no heat and a nearly non existant water changes are the issue. There are too many detrimental variables to even bother considering anything else.

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
a 1 gallon bowl REQUIRES 100% water changes every single day. the rising ammonia on a daily basis is very toxic to your betta. without a filter, the beneficial bacteria cannot build up to convert that ammonia to nitrite, then to nitrate (which is the only non toxic parameter out of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate - the first two can kill your fish).

i used to keep bettas in bowls in my early fish days. never again will a betta of mine be in an unfiltered/too small environment. the day i tested one of my bowls for ammonia and got 4 ppm i vowed to never put a betta through the same torture as your female is receiving.

sorry to be so blunt about it, but you really are doing a grave injustice to your fish by keeping her in a 1 gallon bowl with no heater or filter, and infrequent water changes.

TheRealCramer

AC Members
Jun 18, 2012
I've kept betta's in every trendy 1/2g or less setup. No heaters, no filters, no plants other than bamboo stalk and monthly water changes when too much crap accumulates on bottom. They've always lived full life spans with large fins and bubble nests and happy disposition. In fact the only thing that's killed them is moving them to different setups and they've either jumped out or got stuck behind filters or heaters. Latter happening most.

I've had fish bloat so I changed food as per internet advice and it got better. But I'm no fish health expert and obviously a monster.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
TheRealCramer, how long did your bettas live for? when cared for properly, they can reach lifespans of 5 years, sometimes longer.

betta tanks should always have a lid. bettas are known jumpers.

as for getting stuck behind filters/heaters, the fishkeeper needs to ensure the tank is safe for the fish, and not create spaces that a fish can get stuck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store