Please help! Sick betta in need!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheRealCramer

AC Members
Jun 18, 2012
TheRealCramer, how long did your bettas live for? when cared for properly, they can reach lifespans of 5 years, sometimes longer.

betta tanks should always have a lid. bettas are known jumpers.

as for getting stuck behind filters/heaters, the fishkeeper needs to ensure the tank is safe for the fish, and not create spaces that a fish can get stuck.
My first Betta lived through Highschool and died after graduation by jumping out. I think all the commotion in the room during my grad party made him want to find somewhere quieter. About 4 1/2 years. My last was going for 5 and then I moved him to a 3 gallon and he got stuck behind the internal filter.

"the fishkeeper needs to ensure the tank is safe for the fish, and not create spaces that a fish can get stuck."

Yes, that is why I don't keep labyrinth species in tanks with equiptment. In the wild they can live in acidic stagnant puddles of rotting leaves and no oxygen for bb for years after a dry-up of wetland. And I totally disagree with this new overly bleeding heart care saying a Betta needs at least 10g. I've seen betta's in enclosures that size look like wet dogs with no fin spread or color because the size actually stresses a tank raised territorial anti-social loner out. They like to feel they don't always have to be patrolling or watching out for predators where they can't see.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i've kept bettas in tanks ranging from 10 to 55 gallons. the betta in the 55 was happy as a pig in mud, as were the bettas in 10's, and my current betta in the 20 long with tankmates.

just because a species 'can' live in a certain environment, that doesn't mean they are flourishing in that environment. bettas in the wild are far removed from those sold here in stores. you put a captive betta in a, as you quote, 'acidic stagnant puddles of rotting leaves and no oxygen', and it will die due to not being used to that environment. comparing wild bettas and captive bettas is apples and oranges.

anyhoo, now that we've determined that bettas require just the same care as any other freshwater tropical fish, lets get back to the OP and their betta.

how is the betta doing, vallen25? have you been able to upgrade to a proper tank with filter and heater yet?

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
I haven't been able to set up my new tank, but I have purchased a 10g with heater and filter for my two bettas. Here's an updated picture:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1341181875380.jpg

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
Okay, so I got the new tank set up. Temp is 78 degrees and they just went in. I'm going to buy a water testing kit tonight as the chart for my test strips got wet and it's really hard to read. I don't think Lily's bloat is food related, as I've fasted her for the better part of 4 days and her size hasn't gone down at all. She might of pooped, but whatever was in the base of her tank was lumpy and either white or yellow in color. Anyone think it might be a bacterial infection?

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Test strips are inaccurate at best, API freshwater master kit is your best bet.

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I've had my Betta in 90g tanks, they absolutely loved it. Just because something 'can' survive in a terrible enviornment, doesn't mean it should. You as a human can survive in a closet, but that sure doesn't mean you are living or ok. If you have the funds, and everyone who buys a vase does, at least skip wasting money on anything under 10gal. $10 for a 10g tank at petco, $6 lamp kit and some tin foil for your light, bit of glass from old window to cover for free and a filter as cheap as $6 are all out there. Decor is pricy, substrate is not necessary and many people have it free on CL.

API freshwater master kit, no strips.

I didn't find that you fed her a pea, did you, did she eat it? If you had a 10g, I would suggest a touch of salt to help things move along in her gut.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
You also might be able to get a fresh 10 gallon set up on Freecycle.

Here's an article on different causes of bloat that you might find helpful. Trying the least invasive method first is usually in the fish's best interest. So that means, don't give up on treating for intestinal blockage until it gets ruled out as not the case.

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/healthdisease/119-fish-bloat.html

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
I've already placed her in a 10g this morning and fed her a pea. Came home from work and she's bigger than before.I don't think she's pooed at all. Tank has aquarium salts, fungus cure fizz tab, and melafix in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store