Plexi glass tank cover, will it work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
No, lol sorry. Lexan is some pricey stuff. Glass is your best bet.

I don't care for those hinges. They are too bulky and will block some light in situations like yours. I'm interested to hear more about Bk's silicone hinge. That might be the best choice for you.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
mszumins,
Lexan could work.

Bk828,
The silicon will be pliable enough for movement, and sticky enough to keep it together?

Stidham,
Bk's idea might actually be better than mine. I think I'll try that next time I need a glass cover.
The bad thing about the glass canopies they sell in stores/online is that you are limited on how you can place it on top of the tank. Going with some custom cut glass at a local glass shop is probably the best way to go (especially if you want the glass to suit your needs)

The silicone hinge
-clean the surface of the glass, make sure its dry
-take the 2 glass pieces and place them together on a flat surface.
-take aquarium safe silicone and squeeze a line along the top of the space where both of the pieces meet.
-use a finger or something flat like a credit card to flatten out the silicone line, so the silicone spreads evenly on both of the pieces.
-let dry for a day

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
Well, I have some silicone and a few tank covers. I think I'll take the tape off my small cover and give the silicone hinge a shot.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I don't even bother with hinges any more. All my lights are suspended either from the ceiling, or from a canopy that covers the whole tank. I leave out the hinge, and get equal sized pieces of glass cut for each opening on the tank. Then I get some of those adhesive hooks for in the shower or whatever and stick them on for handles. When I need to open the tank, I lift up the front piece and slide it on top of the back piece. It allows the maximum space for access by splitting the top 50/50, and costs about 5 bucks for each section.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I don't even bother with hinges any more. All my lights are suspended either from the ceiling, or from a canopy that covers the whole tank. I leave out the hinge, and get equal sized pieces of glass cut for each opening on the tank. Then I get some of those adhesive hooks for in the shower or whatever and stick them on for handles. When I need to open the tank, I lift up the front piece and slide it on top of the back piece. It allows the maximum space for access by splitting the top 50/50, and costs about 5 bucks for each section.
I agree having 50/50 access space to the tank is great.

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
im having the same problem the 50/50 seems a good idea what type of lighting are u using

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store