Plexi glass tank cover, will it work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
tank is 45g (36x12). I would be able to fit up to 6 of those fixtures in the canopy as they are only 5.5" in diameter. most likely it will be only 4 though. planning on using 2 of each: 26w 5500K and 19W 6700K screw in CFLs. this combo should give me exactly 2wpg.
I may put the 5th one in there just in case I need to up the lighting at some point.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
I have two shop lights very similar to those over one of my tanks. They are a bit bulky, but they are also bigger. They work OK, but you'll get more light by placing the spiral compacts sideways (in a different fixture of course).

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
They work OK, but you'll get more light by placing the spiral compacts sideways (in a different fixture of course).
how do you figure that jflng?
I thought by placing them "my way" with the aluminum reflector behind them I will be getting most of that light into the tank.

I am not saying you are wrong but wanted to know you reasoning behind it.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
I am not saying you are wrong
I'm not saying I'm right. lol sorry, I shouldn't have stated that as fact.

I read that they are more efficient sideways above tanks; that you will get more light out of them. I read a few posts where people stated this, but I can't find them to cite here, sorry.

It seems to be the case for me as well, but I can't say for sure. I have a 10g with 2x26w cfl mounted in those aluminum fixtures. It is a really low tech tank for me. I never add ferts or Co2, and never really have any problems with it.

On the other hand, I have a 7g with 2x10w cfl mounted sideways that has been nothing but trouble. I intended for this tank to be low tech, but it has turned into more maintenance than I wanted. I started adding DIY Co2 and ferts a few months ago. It seems to help. Plants are thriving, but so is the algae (as it always has). I'm going to tear this one down soon.

It's probably because the lights are mounted slightly closer to the glass, and the tank is shallower. I don't know.

Your setup should work fine. Just scratch what I said. If I can find any sources to back it up, I will post them here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store