Polypterus Senegalus in 40 Breeder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
This thread is a good example of why you cannot always trust the information on articles floating around the net. All of those articles listing that 20" max are citing from only one source that is likely inaccurate judging by the fact that no one has been able to produce pictures or proof of a fish nearly in that size range. Even fishbase has false info on there periodically (In recent years I've seen them change the max size on several species that I knew to most likely be wrong, though mostly on species not commonly seen in the trade.)
If a senegal were to reach that size I'd have to assume it to be a genetic oddball.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
http://www.polypterus.info/keeping_polypterus.htm - near the bottom of that page is a chart of maximum lengths of several species with P. senegalus senegalus reaching 20" and P. senegalus meridionalus reaching 28". This article was published in Practical Fishkeeping magazine.

It does list that book you mentioned as one of the references but there are several other references as well. Of course, they could all be based on bad information... or we could be! ;-)

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Yes, I agree with the positive comments. My two biggest senegals have slowed down growing now that they're at the 7-8" mark. I believe my tank conditions are fine, so feel that this is just normal growth for them.

I've kept mine with Congo tetras without incident for a while now. I think African butterly fish would also work (seem kind of dull to me, though). You could also add in a cichlid, but it would be tricky to find one that's big enough not to be eaten, but still comfortable in a 40g -- maybe a firemouth...

GoldLenny

Yes, I agree with the positive comments. My two biggest senegals have slowed down growing now that they're at the 7-8" mark. I believe my tank conditions are fine, so feel that this is just normal growth for them.

I've kept mine with Congo tetras without incident for a while now. I think African butterly fish would also work (seem kind of dull to me, though). You could also add in a cichlid, but it would be tricky to find one that's big enough not to be eaten, but still comfortable in a 40g -- maybe a firemouth...
Joel,

According to your Tank Setup, you have...

FW 55 gallon: AC110+Rena XP1: Play sand: Medium planted: African Brown Knife, 3 Senegal Bichirs, Ctenopoma acutirostre, 9 Congo Tetras
Congo Tetras grow to 5". The Sengal bichirs should grow to 12", 14", 16", 20" or whatever one wishes to believe. The African Brown Knifefish grows to 12" (although there is another species that goes by that same commen name and it only grows to 8") and the C. acutirostre (African Climbing Perch) grows to 8" so that 55G is a classic example of what are more than likely to be stunted fish.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Could we please avoid getting personal here, folks? Lenny, I understand where you are coming from but could you please relax this talk a little? It's getting tense here and I'd hate to close a good topic because we cannot politely step aside and focus on the original problem. We're here to help and answer Lillyan's original questions, not criticize anyone else's stocks and divert the issue to stunting issues. Thank you.

Smok3o3

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Colorado
I personally believe the bigger the tank the better. I have two small ones and a large one right now they are real cool fish.

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
Lillyan: I'd try to find an albino senegal. They tend to stay even smaller (8-10" seems to be average) and I think would be very happy in a 40 breeder. I think one albino senegal and 5-7 Congo tetras would do great in that tank. Be sure to add some driftwood to help the bichir feel secure and they appreciate floating cover as well (especially when small). Good filtration is also a must. Check out the Polypterus section of MFK - there's a lot of great information in the stickies. Good luck :thumbsup:

http://www.polypterus.info/keeping_polypterus.htm - near the bottom of that page is a chart of maximum lengths of several species with P. senegalus senegalus reaching 20" and P. senegalus meridionalus reaching 28". This article was published in Practical Fishkeeping magazine.

It does list that book you mentioned as one of the references but there are several other references as well. Of course, they could all be based on bad information... or we could be! ;-)
Its also questionable whether P. senegalus meridionalus is even a valid subspecies. The bottom line is most senegals in the hobby top out around 12". I've heard of a couple between 14-16" but until I see them next to a ruler I'll be a doubting Thomas. The other thing to keep in mind is that most senegals available these days are farmed in Asia using hormone injections and potentially imbred as well. Most captive bred bichirs don't quite measure up to the potential size of their wild-caught brothers.

Just my $0.02

GoldLenny

Could we please avoid getting personal here, folks? Lenny, I understand where you are coming from but could you please relax this talk a little? It's getting tense here and I'd hate to close a good topic because we cannot politely step aside and focus on the original problem. We're here to help and answer Lillyan's original questions, not criticize anyone else's stocks and divert the issue to stunting issues. Thank you.
But when overstocking a tank or putting BIG fish in an undersized tank, stunting is exactly what you get.

I guess I could just be a YES MAN and say sure Lillyan... go ahead and get about 10 Senegal Bichirs when they're an inch long and stick them in a 10g tank.. that works with the 1" per gallon rule.. right?

Sorry.. I'm not a YES MAN and I'll always give people legitimate advice and work hard to encourage them to NOT overstock their tanks or put fish in an undersized tank.

We all know that 90% of the fish health problems that show up in ALL forums is directly related to overstocking, stunting or improper stocking of fish. To try and treat this major issue like it's the crazy lady in the cellar isn't going to help people.

Ignorance is bliss.... until you realize you are! Then it's not so blissful... except it's the fish that arent' so blissful, not the person who chooses to ignore the basics.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I really thought this thread would of been closed by the time I got to the last post this morning.

I like to spoil my fish and give them the biggest tanks possible. So I think I will have to pass on these unique fish until I have upgraded other tanks and have a good size open to them.

This leaves me with my last Q and a pretty empty 40breeder. I want a bigger fish than all the ones I have now, but not too large it can't live in a 40breeder it's whole life, preferably with a friend too. The max size fish I have now is about 4in long. Anything a bit bigger I can have? I'd love blood parrots, but I don't like that the hybrid can't potentially breed successfully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store