Polypterus Senegalus in 40 Breeder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Some info on striped peacock eels: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204410

Looks like that wouldn't be a long-term resident in your 40 gal either...
Pay very close attention to the thread you posted. They are talking about a different striped peacock eel (Macrognathus aral), which is a freshwater/brackish fish that gets twice as large, whereas what petsmart is offering is Macrognathus siamensis (what most hobbyists refer to as peacock eel), which undisputedly only gets to a foot long max and is strictly freshwater.
How many eels could I have, just the one or?
You should be able to keep several together. The mainly problem I've had with them is getting them to eat. They sometimes must be started out on live foods. You also need a very tightly secured lid with no gaps or else they will slighter out. And all intakes must be very well secured.

davcheng

AC Members
Jul 31, 2007
Depending on your filtration, you could keep quite a few senegal bichirs in a 40g. They are not territorial and do not grow very big. It depends on how much maintenance and how much filtration you are willing to invest in.

tayhudson

time will see us realign
Sep 27, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Terri
I got the "smallest" sen when I got Ziggy. He was about 2 1/2", now he's about 4". He's in my 40 breeder with my green severum, 3 giant danios and 1 bn pleco. He likes to try and catch the danios, lol. I would suggest a nice bubble wall or strip, something long. My Ziggy lovessss to lay across the bubble wall I have and let he bubbles float him to the top. It's 23" long. He eats really well and has become even more active since I added the danios (as dither/target fish) I think 1 or 2 would be ok. Get them small tho. IMO.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Just for a reference for the OP about Polypterus Senegalus, I had 2, one was eaten by my redtail cat, but at the time of death he was 10", but here's the twist, he was only ~8months old, or at least I only had him for that amount of time, but he was only 2" when I purchased him from the LFS.

With that said, his growth rate suggested a much larger possible size than 10". He was on his way to at least 16-18" but has been housed in a 135g for the last 7 1/2 months.

As far as water quality and stunting of this particular species, I don't believe water quality plays a role per say.
Now I will say this with a disclaimer: I do not condone keeping fish or any animal in conditions falling short of perfect. Give all animals the best life and home possible. Ok with the disclaimer it of the way, Bichirs breathe atmospheric air, so poor water quality will not affect them in the same way as it would other fish. This is why in their native habitat they can survive for so long in stagnant, oxygen deprived water, and in extreme cases, leave the water to find more suitable water.

So as far as size for life, I believe they absolutely have the capacity to outgrow a 40b, but is it likely? Probably not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store