Polypterus Senegalus in 40 Breeder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
you could also keep him with jewel cichlids. I have three hemichromis gutattus you can have. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/h_guttatus.php They max out at about 4.5 to 5". The have a lot of girth. Too big for a Polys mouth I think.

Check out Annadale Superpetz, Pristine Aquarium, and House of Tropicals. To local and semi local stores that carry everything you are looking at. H.O.T. has albino sens. I plan on picking one up as soon as my Sen gets a little bigger.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Pretty much everything on the Petsmart website I can find in their stores.
Others that I would have to buy online, really are not even an option.
What about the Eel or the spotted leaf fish? Also, I'd like more than one fully grown in a 40breeder, so keep that in mind.
Both LFS aren't that good at keeping fish and they are no where near local, lol.
What kind of eel are you referring to?

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Yea, this sucks, lol. It really sucks since I'm starting to loose interest in fish since most now that I haven't kept/am keeping, need very large tanks. v.v-

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I don't think that info in that thread is accurate at all. Peacocks eels are known to be one of the smallest eels available and could easily live in a 40 breeder for life.
I don't think that type of eel is very common. You were looking to get the eel from petsmart right? They carry peacock eels which only get to 12" max, fine for a 40 gallon.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Can I keep one or more Polypterus Senegalus in a 40 gallon breeder?
How many can I have and what tank mates, edible and just mates?
Anything else I should know?
You could easily keep a pair of Sens in a 40b. 3 if that is all that you kept.

If you stick with 2,a single convict may work. A school of tiger barbs may work too. Not sure about them in the long run though. They may get slowly picked off.

They are great to keep.Very active. Give them sinking food to eat. They will also eat frozen beef heart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store