Restocking 40 gallon after mass die off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You need to wait until your tank is healthy again, probably a month without any issues. You may need your Q tank for sick fish in the near future if only a few haven't recovered (or died, sorry, you're not out of the woods yet :(). My mantra, water changes!

As for what order to add fish, hard to say. I'm going to assume QT is fully cycled for a tankful of fish. Cardinals will likely to be smaller than adult size but I would do 2 batches of 10 each if you need to, your lfs may not have 20 & you don't want to mix "batches" from different shipments or sources. If all is good with QT cycling & source you might do all at once. Be careful! Test often!

Then maybe a young male ram. Males alone are more mellow & females mature at a smaller size. Add the female last of all, she will change the dynamic of the tank.

After the male ram, maybe the honey gouramis. Remember, a true pair or 2 females & 1 male. Do you have live plants? I don't recall, but some floaters will help them feel happy...& help the SAE to be less apt to jump. Not duckweed!!

Last of all the female ram. Ask if you can get an even exchange for "her" if it turns out to be a male (same with the gouramis). But research the M & F differences, fish catchers don't always know more than you.

Go slow! You want a happy healthy tank, not just a stocked 1. In some ways it'll depend on what available when you're ready.

& we're going to need pics!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
You need to wait until your tank is healthy again, probably a month without any issues. You may need your Q tank for sick fish in the near future if only a few haven't recovered (or died, sorry, you're not out of the woods yet :(). My mantra, water changes!

As for what order to add fish, hard to say. I'm going to assume QT is fully cycled for a tankful of fish. Cardinals will likely to be smaller than adult size but I would do 2 batches of 10 each if you need to, your lfs may not have 20 & you don't want to mix "batches" from different shipments or sources. If all is good with QT cycling & source you might do all at once. Be careful! Test often!

Then maybe a young male ram. Males alone are more mellow & females mature at a smaller size. Add the female last of all, she will change the dynamic of the tank.

After the male ram, maybe the honey gouramis. Remember, a true pair or 2 females & 1 male. Do you have live plants? I don't recall, but some floaters will help them feel happy...& help the SAE to be less apt to jump. Not duckweed!!

Last of all the female ram. Ask if you can get an even exchange for "her" if it turns out to be a male (same with the gouramis). But research the M & F differences, fish catchers don't always know more than you.

Go slow! You want a happy healthy tank, not just a stocked 1. In some ways it'll depend on what available when you're ready.

& we're going to need pics!
Oh yeah, absolutely going to take this as slow as possible. Not even going to buy fish for quarantine until things in my main tank are looking good again, or at least a lot better than they are now. And even then, all fish are getting a month in quarantine until they're ready to move into the bigger tank. It's not quite cycled on its own yet anyway but i will probably end up borrowing media from my other (healthy) tanks to help it along if i need to.

Thank you for all your help though, i really appreciate it! I will be sure to post pics when i can get these new fish in!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Great attitude! I know it's hard to wait & do a ton of water changes but it is the best way, as is QT!!!!

Keep us posted on how your tank is doing, we want to know how you're getting along.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Great attitude! I know it's hard to wait & do a ton of water changes but it is the best way, as is QT!!!!

Keep us posted on how your tank is doing, we want to know how you're getting along.
Would you suggest i do water changes every day until i start to see my current fish getting better? I've been doing about 10% every day now right before dosing with paraguard for safety. That's been going on for about a week now and i'm worried if it might be too excessive if i keep that up?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, all water changes are good! I'll have to look up paraguard to see what that is & why you want to dose it right now...tomorrow...

If 10% a day is too tiresome, try 20-25% every other day. Do the best you can, that's all you can do.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Well, all water changes are good! I'll have to look up paraguard to see what that is & why you want to dose it right now...tomorrow...

If 10% a day is too tiresome, try 20-25% every other day. Do the best you can, that's all you can do.
Paraguard is a medicene by seachem that supposedly treats a broad spectrum of things. I've heard this is what to use if you know something's wrong but you have no idea what it is. People also use it as a prophylactic during quarantine i've seen.

Unfortunately it seems like i have to do water changes every day at this rate, i keep waking up to dead fish in the tank...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry you're still losing fish. I'm not sure I would have chosen paraguard (or anything, really), but now that you've started it you should finish the treatment. I don't like it that it doesn't say what is in it, it's too vague beside the dye.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I'm sorry you're still losing fish. I'm not sure I would have chosen paraguard (or anything, really), but now that you've started it you should finish the treatment. I don't like it that it doesn't say what is in it, it's too vague beside the dye.
I'm not sure how long i should be dosing for, but it seems like since i started some of the fish are doing better. But i really don't know what to make of this situation...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Might be the treatment or just water changes, but I'm glad they're doing better. It should say on the package how long to treat for...you never saw any ich spots (like salt) did you? OK, I looked it up, it says 2 weeks is recommended for quarantine, so do that.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Might be the treatment or just water changes, but I'm glad they're doing better. It should say on the package how long to treat for...you never saw any ich spots (like salt) did you? OK, I looked it up, it says 2 weeks is recommended for quarantine, so do that.
Yeah this is definitely not ich. The major symptoms are bright red gills, heavy fast breathing, and lethargy. To me it sounds a lot like gill flukes, but i could be wrong.
Still going to give them the current treatment since i don't think switching medicines would be good for them. And of course water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store