Restocking 40 gallon after mass die off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Gill flukes can look similar to ammonia gill burns (which is what I think your fish have). Still, continue with the WCs & paraguard. You're doing all that you can. Keep it up!! If you can change out more than 10% water, do it!! Even if only "sometimes", it will help!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Gill flukes can look similar to ammonia gill burns (which is what I think your fish have). Still, continue with the WCs & paraguard. You're doing all that you can. Keep it up!! If you can change out more than 10% water, do it!! Even if only "sometimes", it will help!
I would also think that, but ammonia is always zero when i test for it. That why i thought flukes might be more likely. My one platy that i posted the pic of also had those red lines on the body which look like body flukes too.
I can take my water to my lfs to test but it probably won't be a good indicator as to whether it was ammonia that was the issue by this point.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Getting a second opinion on your water conditions from a local fish store should be a simple enough way to know if there is a problem with your testing.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You may not still have ammonia anymore, but may still see the effects of a high level. It doesn't just go away with 0 ammonia, the burn & red gills may remain. Whatever, keep up the water changes & paraguard.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
You may not still have ammonia anymore, but may still see the effects of a high level. It doesn't just go away with 0 ammonia, the burn & red gills may remain. Whatever, keep up the water changes & paraguard.
Yeah i figured. Are Water changes and the continued paraguard dosing all i can really do right now? How do you really effectively treat ammonia poisoning otherwise?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Good luck, hope things improve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com