Salt in the Freshwater aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Cichlid Salt is not salt as such. It is actually mineral salts.It is easy to be confused when discussing them. Personally I use a bit of salt in my tanks but not table salt or aquarium salt. I use Kosher salt as it has no additives. More importantly, the Kosher salt is great for making Margaritas!

There was a time when mineral salts were needed to help sustain fish taken from the wild. Today's fish are mostly farm bred and therefor have no need for it as a conditioner.

I can buy a very large box of Kosher salt for less than I can buy a small shaker of table salt. I use it also to rub down my fresh caught fish and game before freezing.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
All big chain stores use salt, some like Petco in NY area have plastic cup containers full of salt in the tanks all the time. Most of the LFS in the area also add salt with every water change, I have seen it done.
If you are buying water conditioner, they will ask you if you have aquarium salt, the same with anyone buying a new set up.
I think it is a good seller for them at $5.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Many reasons to use salt in an aquarium. It can control some parasites, It can help regulate osmotic related stress from transport, it will aid in mucus production, and it can treat brown blood disease.

It can also kill plants, kill corys, and some tetras. Take note of your fish when using salt as some are super sensitive.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
theres a big sign in my petsmart here in town "All freshwater fish need salt to help with their gill function and to help with stress".

Crazy huh? So considering most people don't just toss the newly bought fish into their tank, it's no wonder most chain stores have bad reps about fish dying. Makes me wonder if all the big chain stores have salt in their water. Even one of the local mom and pop shops tell me they add water to all their tanks for "proper gill function". I stopped buying from that store after they told me that.
salt can help gill function - the chlorine in salt will bind with blood cells easier than nitrite will, and so if you have a nitrite spike, you can help the fish survive it by adding salt. however, that use of it really just applies in large ponds where it is not feasible to do frequent large water changes. in our own tanks, the water changes are a safer, cheaper, and more effective option.

my assumption in regards to stores that use salt in all their tanks is that without it, fish were dying because of poor water quality. i don't think the salt will help them live the same as if the water was clean/safe, but it probably helps them live long enough to be sold, which is what matters to the stores.

as far as helping with slime coat/mucous production (noted in another post) salt does this by irritating the fish. the irritation increases mucous production, and a thicker mucous coat can help to prevent skin-related diseases. the problem is that the constant irritation to the fish over time causes physical/immune stress and can lead to death.

think of salt as the pressure that would cause a callous - if you have repetitive pressure on some part of your body, your skin will form the protective layer. if you constantly are exposed to this pressure/friction to the point where your entire body is affected, that is going to stress your body because your body is always trying to overcome the irritation.

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
ok so I should only use the Aquarium salt if my fish develope ICK or any other type of illness? I have Cichlid only fish which are an Oscar and 5 Black Convicts.

Sarge_857

Iam the one under your bed. BOO
Mar 18, 2008
Saline, MI AKA craphole USA
ok so I should only use the Aquarium salt if my fish develope ICK or any other type of illness? I have Cichlid only fish which are an Oscar and 5 Black Convicts.

how big is the aquarium? that oscar is gunna have fun with ur cons, until they spawn.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have some concern over your stock...what size tank is this?

Oscars should be given at least 75 gallons by themselves.

More than a pair of convicts and you are asking for trouble when they breed.

Aquarium salt really only treats ick. Other illnesses should be handled differently.

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
Well the Oscar is in a 55 gallon with 1 male Convict. There is a pair of Convicts in a 20 gallon and 2 babies 1/2 inch in a 10 gallon for right now. next week I am also getting a 30 gallon.
I do know The Oscar is fine in the 55 gallon and the Lanlord would freek if I went bigger so 55 it is and it will stay that way. So no more comments on going bigger ok.
Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store