Salt in the Freshwater aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
i have to add a resounding no to salt in tanks in my experience it sorta wierded out my fish when i put it in and they did not look so hot after but thats just my two cents

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
to keep salt in the tank will only make it harder to treat when and if your tank does come down with an ich outbreak. Generally, if you keep up with your maintenance and quarantine fish before introducing to your main tank, then you wont be needing a medicine... I haven't medicated my tank in years. The last time I did was when a ram came in with worms... he wound up keeping the worms to himself and he was removed from the tank when noticed. Before that, I couldn't even think of the last time I used anything.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
TwoTankAmin wrote:
There are two reasons to add salt to fw fish:

1. For live fish- To cure ich and a few other diseases/problems.
2. For cooked fish- To season.
hehehehehe wow that was funny i almost shot cola threw my nose.. a sprinkle of salt thats funny as well, that aquarium salt is only non iodized salt from your local grocery store in a chunkier form and you can get it at the store for like 50 cents to a dollar for a container but everyone here is so right its only good for the ich treatment with higher temps, so if you have a problem with ich use salt and turn your heater up to about 86* jpappy said it most keep your water quality good and your fine

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
wow i think you guys hit a nerve on the tank size!!!!!!!!!

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
Yeah she said just a pinch of salt at every water change. I Live in the city limits so I am religious about using De-chlorinator I even use a little more than I really need to just to be safe. I'm glad I only spent like 2 dollars on this Aquarium salt so not a huge loss but yeah this girl was telling me thing's I never heard of before about the wonders of salt in my freshwater tanks. She even claimed it would calm down aggression in my Convits LOL.
That's why I posted here to get everyones opinions on the salt before I ever tried to use it. Better safe then sorry.

Thanks everyone.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool you did the right thing by asking even pet store employees get it wrong as well some are just misled and some do it to make a buck..

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
No on was being mean in suggesting a larger tank for the Oscar. It will outgrow the 55 and that is why a 75 is suggested. A 55 is only 12" deep and most Oscars get larger than that. They can't turn in a tank that is too small.

If a fish outgrows a tank, a person should consider giving/selling to someone that has an appropriate sized tank.

I do use salt as it helps to soften my very hard water.

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
My 55 measures 21 inches deep. 18 inches wide and like 48 inches long. I know no-one was being mean about the tank size, and I wish I could go bigger really. But the landlord says NO!! So I'm hoping to move this coming spring into a house if I can and then I will go as big as i can. hehehehehe
I have city water and it's not softened with a softener but it's not hard at the same time. Hard to explain.
I guess I could add a pinch like the store girl said just once and see how the fish respond. They are all Convicts and pretty hardy fish. But I dont see any sence in every water change since I have 3 tanks set up for my Oscar in the 55 and the Bl. Cons in the 20 and 10 gallon.
If there is any problems with my fish that i am unaware of the salt wont hurt them I guess just trying it to see how the fish respond.

Thanks everyone Sharon in Minnesota

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Well the Oscar is in a 55 gallon with 1 male Convict. There is a pair of Convicts in a 20 gallon and 2 babies 1/2 inch in a 10 gallon for right now. next week I am also getting a 30 gallon.
I do know The Oscar is fine in the 55 gallon and the Lanlord would freek if I went bigger so 55 it is and it will stay that way. So no more comments on going bigger ok.
Thanks
The way you wrote the post it sounded like all your fish were in one tank together. That is why I asked.

My 55 measures 21 inches deep. 18 inches wide and like 48 inches long. I know no-one was being mean about the tank size, and I wish I could go bigger really. But the landlord says NO!! So I'm hoping to move this coming spring into a house if I can and then I will go as big as i can. hehehehehe
I have city water and it's not softened with a softener but it's not hard at the same time. Hard to explain.
I guess I could add a pinch like the store girl said just once and see how the fish respond. They are all Convicts and pretty hardy fish. But I dont see any sence in every water change since I have 3 tanks set up for my Oscar in the 55 and the Bl. Cons in the 20 and 10 gallon.
If there is any problems with my fish that i am unaware of the salt wont hurt them I guess just trying it to see how the fish respond.

Thanks everyone Sharon in Minnesota
If your dimensions are correct that is not a 55 gallon, that is a 75 gallon...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store