Salt in the Freshwater aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovejonesx

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
I use Cichlid Salt in my Kitumba Frontosa tank & have for years now & I guess it's a case of staying with what has worked for me. I've listened to the debate on salt use for some time now, & agree that for the most part, salt is not a requirement unless you have a case of ich.

But I realize that Cichlid Salt is NOT regular aquarium salt & I really don't use salt in my other freshwater tanks.

I'ont eat fish but I MUST admit that THAT PINCH OF SALT comment DOES sound like something Julia Childs or that guy that yells BAM all of the time (Emerril) would say!
:grinyes:

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I do use salt as it helps to soften my very hard water.
This is one of the best reasons,outside of treating ich to use salt.This has been an on going argument among fish keepers for years.As long as there are not scaleless fish,or certain other fish who do not tolerate it well,it won't hurt to use it,but in most cases really is not necessary either.It is a choice that is up to the individual,and is really silly to sit here and debate any further.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Salt added to the water should harden it, or boost your TDS...........

That is not all that different.

Hard water minerals primarily consist of calcium (Ca2+), and magnesium (Mg2+) metal cations, and sometimes other dissolved compounds such as bicarbonates and sulfates.

I need to edit further...

The important thing is that adding salt to water (ie. putting it a bucket and pouring it in your tank will harden the water, or boost TDS). Using a salt ion exchanger will soften it....

Last edited:

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
I add a bit of salt to my discus tank every water change. Just a pinch though, they don't seem to mind. But seriously, don't listen to the instructions on the back of the aquarium salt...1/2 tablespoon of salt to 1 gallon of aquarium water or 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons. :eek: HOLY!! Might as well switch to saltwater....

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
I'll remeasure because I think I listed the wrong measurements of my tank earlier I know it's a 55 gallon that the Oscar is in. Sorry.
I think the Aquarium salt bottle says add 1 tsp to every 10 gallons.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
this aquarium salt and the true marine salt are nothing alike

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Salt added to the water should harden it, or boost your TDS...........

That is not all that different.

Hard water minerals primarily consist of calcium (Ca2+), and magnesium (Mg2+) metal cations, and sometimes other dissolved compounds such as bicarbonates and sulfates.

I need to edit further...

The important thing is that adding salt to water (ie. putting it a bucket and pouring it in your tank will harden the water, or boost TDS). Using a salt ion exchanger will soften it....
Aquarium salt is basically NaCl...if you are trying to harden the water in your tank to acheive rift lake-like water then adding aquarium salt is not the way to do it. Rift lake chemistry is much more complicated...http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_salts.php

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Adding salt to hardwater will not soften it. What it will do is raise the TDS even further, making it even more unsuitable for softwater fish. A bad idea, as far as I can see.

Iodine in salt is a red herring. It's harmless in the quantities added.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store