Sand vs. Gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
the only thing ppl havent mention is you may need some mts snail to stir your sand. You can also do this after you clean the top, run your hand trough it. This will prevent the toxic pockets from forming.
You don't "need" mts to stir the sand. As long as you don't make the sand bed too deep anaerobic pockets are unlikely to form in the first place. Mts generally stay in the aerobic areas of the sand bed anyways so they don't really do much for anearobic pockets.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
3m colorquartz S-grade black sand, it's ceramic coated so it's not sharp, won't lose color, and costs about .50 /lb . Downside? It's been rebranded, so it can be somewhat hard to find. However, most industrial or pool supply places can find it if you ask. (T-grade is a bit larger)

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
All those replies above are right on the mark !
Sand is so much better than anything else - not only much easier to clean - but makes the fish & plant colors really stand out. And don't worry about aenorobic pockets (spelling ?) Just do a thin enough layer - 1/2" in front - no more than 3" in back. And it grows plants real well with minimal ferts. I've tried them all, and this is the best.
Just have a quick look-see at my tank - perhaps that might convince you.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/redrubys

Last edited:

Canuck

AC Members
Dec 22, 2002
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
Personally, I wasn't very long getting rid of my sand. It really is a matter of personal preference, and apparently my tastes aren't the norm. The white/light coloured sand does not look natural to me in a freshwater aquascape. It will not grow plants as well as soil master select, turface, clay soil conditioner, or aquatic plant soil (all essentially the same product). My tanks are heavily planted and I want a mature substrate which means I want some mulm to work its way down into the substrate, small gravel allows this naturally. Even the most pristine tanks have some algae, and the white/light coloured sand highlights even minute amounts.

jamestosa

Registered Member
Dec 8, 2010
can some one post some picture of the different types of sand? i heard a lot of good things about pool filter sand, put is pool filter sand brown not white? thanks

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
can some one post some picture of the different types of sand? i heard a lot of good things about pool filter sand, put is pool filter sand brown not white? thanks
More of a light brown. Definately starts out brown so I'd assume it stays that way. Sort of depends on the lighting though.

40g with a T5; 10,000k bulb and a pink 'plant growth' bulb.

28g with a standard T8 fixture that came with the tank.

10g with a standard T8 fixture. Not sure on the bulb (doesn't look like the type that usually comes with these fixtures. but it puts out the same pink colored light as the 'plant growth' bulb).

Pool filter sand on all of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store