Sand vs. Gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Nice looking tanks, khemul.
samba 264:
Don't know what you may have gotten out of all all the above posts, but I think white silica pool filter sand may be your answer - that looks like what khemul is using as well, unless I'm mistaken.
And, just in case you didn't notice before, I'll add the link once more to my planted discus tank with the white silica pool filter sand, for you to have (another) look:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/redrubys

Good luck & let us know what you decide.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Swimming pool filter sand generally isn't shipped too far, so it will be what ever the local mineral is. In most areas it quartz of some kind. In parts of New York state, it can be granite and dark gray to black. In parts of New England it can be bluish. In some areas it's red flint.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Swimming pool filter sand generally isn't shipped too far, so it will be what ever the local mineral is. In most areas it quartz of some kind. In parts of New York state, it can be granite and dark gray to black. In parts of New England it can be bluish. In some areas it's red flint.
That makes sense.

First thing I thought when I started using filter sand was "this looks just like what they bring in to rebuild the beaches". :D

The filter sand here is a very light brown/tan. If you can, just go to a pool store or Home Depot and check it out. I got mine at Home Depot and it was pretty easy to see what it looks like before buying it (usually just look under the stack since someone is bound to accidently rip one open).

Samba264

AC Members
Nov 26, 2010
Wellington, NZ
Real Name
Sam
wow, just checked this thread, the amount of people who took the time to reply is really great!! Thanks everyone for your help, I think the winner seems to be sand by common consensus and to be honest i was hoping that would be the case:)
Cheers, Sam

dvanv

AC Members
Aug 17, 2006
I changed all my tanks over to pool filter sand and I am very happy with the way it looks and cleans. My catfish love it.

Anoxia

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
I will never go back to gravel. Sand is attractive, much cleaner than gravel, plants grow well in it, and the fish LOVE it. I also appreciate not having to vacuum my tank anymore.

I could never keep corydoras alive long until I tried keeping them on sand, and now they are thriving; in fact they are breeding. My cories often filter feed the sand through their gills, looking for worms, and so does my bristlenose pleco. I never realized that was part of their natural behavior! Some time I'll have to try to get it on video.

I prefer the fine playsand made by Quikrete. You initially have to rinse it more than silver sand (pool filter sand) but my habrosus dwarf cories have an easier time filter feeding the finer particle size. They are both inert silica sand, though.

You may have heard that if you don't stir your sand, it will become anaerobic, and create pockets of dangerous gas that will kill your fish. That is a myth. The gas bubbles are the result of beneficial heterotrophic bacteria which help to denitrify the water. They are harmless.

Last edited:

Samba264

AC Members
Nov 26, 2010
Wellington, NZ
Real Name
Sam
Thanks again for so many helpful replies:)
@ dbosman: I'm in New Zealand, got my pool filter sand from the out-laws. its pale tan-ish and looks gorgeous:), similar to but slightly darker than emile's actually.
@ emile: what a gorgeous tank, I can't wait to have something big enough to really go crazy with:)
I'll post pics when I finish adding plants and find the camera.

Thanks again:)
Sam

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store