several ongoing problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
so, after a night of carbon and a 50% waterchange, I just dosed 400mg API Erythromycin and 20mg Maracyn Two. Maracyn for freshwater was not available locally, so I substituted the generic. After dosing the Maracyn Two, I saw almost immediate differences in the cherry barbs, who really lost their color, but seem more comfortable. I dosed the EM about 2 hours later.

we'll see how it goes.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
today's day three of medicating.

Day 1:
400mg EM
40mg maracyn two

Day 2:
200mg EM
20mg maracyn two

Day 3:
5 gallon water change
200mg EM
20mg maracyn two

The harlequin rasbora with the white spot on it has shown a little, but not much improvement. the spot is still present, and raised. fish acts normal.

The microrasbora kubotai with the white cyst inside it's flesh still has the cyst. It looks emaciated compared to the other kubotai.

The cherry barbs are showing no improvement at all. In fact, I'd say they look worse. all clenched all the time, occasional tilting to one side, staying in the slower regions of the tank.

I am tempted to up today's dose to a first day dose, since having done a water change... but overall I am worried that I am not seeing improvement, mostly in the cherry barbs. They are so hardy, it is surprising me.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
Today I dosed 300mg of EM and 30mg of Maracyn 2. I'm seeing no changes in any of the fish physically... the kubotai still skinny with cyst, the harlequin rasbora still has a fungus like spot... although it is smaller. The cherry barbs are still clamping a lot, but their behaviour is a lot different today, pretty much all the males are chasing the sick females around like mating. very busy.

today was day five of medicating, I do not know if I should continue or not.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would continue the coarse of treatment, often things get worse before they get better. Also, you can do large daily water changes right before addign teh medication as antibiotics lose their efficacy in the water after 24 hours. This may help their overall condition and health as well.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm sorry for your difficulties Mellow. I am in the final phase of treatment for bacterial infection in my Brochis.

I think daily water changes would be a good idea.

My Brochis didn't have any external lesions such as you describe, but he was fire engine red under the skin around the pectorals, and under the skin at the base of the dorsal, full length, the vent area and extending out somewhat from the vent over the abdomen, and behind the gill on one side with a thin streak of red extending across his side.

I'm sure his infection had progressed to early septicemia: early because his organs have not been compromised and there was no dropsy yet.

The broad spectrum treatment with the Maracyn and Maracyn II seemed to have caught it in time.

I've been doing 80% water changes every 24 hours and then dosing the tank. He is in a 5 gallon hospital tank so the water changes are pretty easy.

Mixing the dosages has been a little difficult since the packets are dosages assuming a 10 gallon tank. I looked like I was doing lines of cocaine, to mix the two and then divide by half, lol.

I hope you have success with treating your fish. I do think big daily water changes are a good thing.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Sorry for going on about my fish, I didn't mean to hijack, I guess I want you to have hope because mine is doing better and maybe yours will, too. At least I hope so.

I do want to suggest daily water changes, though. I think it helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store