several ongoing problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
Today is day 7

Yesterday I did a 4-5 gallon water change. Yesterday and today I dosed with 300mg EM and 20mg Maracyn 2

The rasbora still has the fungus/cottony growth.
the microrasbora is still emaciated, showing something in it's flesh still.
he cherry barbs are worse. The one I originally noticed has it's right gil swollen and red inside, sort of open all the time. still clamped, but eating and swimming. A male is showing similar behavior, the tilted head etc, but his gil is not open or redder than normal.

I'm starting to think the cherry barbs have a parasite problem, which is probably the case with the microrasbora as well. I am out of EM. Planning on getting more for tomorrow, but I'm starting to feel frustrated at the lack of success.

Should I remove and euthanize the microrasbora?
Should I do the same with the cherrybarbs?

What should I be considering as an invert safe parasite med? Is there something I can use at the same time as the EM?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Oh, Mellow. I;m so sorry you're having problems, and I'm sorry things haven't gotten better. You may be right about a parasite, though I'm fairly new and don't know much about that.

A few months ago, when I thought I was having ich in my tank, I callerd Kordon out in California and wound up on the phone with their research biologist. We discussed Ich Atack for Ich, but he also said it works well for other parasites, and doesn't harm inverts and can be used with other meds, but I don't know irf it woud help.

I think someone with more experience will be along to help, I hope, but I think you may want to consider euthanasia if thngs don't improve for the two sickest ones you mentioned.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
That's right.... I forgot that was in your early posts, sorry. I hope someone like Vader or one of the other pros will be along soon to help. I wish you the best, Mellow, and I'm so sorry you have sick little fish.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
You should try and do a scraping then pester Inka4040 (you guys live close to each other right?) to look at it under the scope. Of if you could even collect some fecal matter from the worst affected fish. Its so hard to know what to do without clear diagnosis. I am looking in my fish disease book now to see if I can figure anything out for you.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
my phone really doens't capture close ups of the fish well enough to bother for this purpose, and the nice camera isn't around right now... so I can't get the shots.

Everyone's hanging in so far, today is day 8.

I did a large water change and followed with 400mg Maracyn EM and 40mg Maracyn 2

the only change I'm seeing is the Rasbora's cottony growth is shrinking. It's much smaller than 2 days ago.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Hey Mellow, I was wondering how everyone's doing. Hope things are getting better.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
three days later, guess that makes it day 11.

I've been keeping up with the dosage of 300mg EM and 20mg Maracyn 2. Yesterday, however I had no Maracyn 2 and let that slide.

Today, the white spot on the Harlequin Rasbora that was starting to shrink, was much larger. All other fish appear in the same sickly condition. there is really no improvement anywhere.

Today's results indicate that whatever the Harelquin has is to be controlled with the Maracyn 2. The EM obviously has no affect on it. In addition, the EM does not appear to be helping the other fish. The lack of reaction in the cherry barbs leads me to believe it's a parasitic infection rather than bacterial or fungal. I think I should discontinue the EM dosing and maybe hit harder with the Maracyn 2. When that course is through, I can then move on to dosing with an antiparasitic for the gill issue in the cherry barbs.

Vader, Jinx, I'd REALLY love to hear you weigh in on this.

Thanks

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would finish your maracyn 2, run some carbon, do a water change.

Does your fish seem to be producing extra mucus from the gills? Does is have uneven gill use?

What does its feces look like?

I am only asking to try and figure out whether to recommend panacur(febendazole) or droncit (praziquantel).

I also would think a salt treatment would be a good idea.

Can you give a quick overview again of the main symptoms?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store