several ongoing problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
yeah.

I'm not sure what to do next. I am considering a few options...

1. empty the tank and run as terrarium for a couple of weeks until the algae dies, and keep all fish in QT. (would require selling 8 lampeye killies first)

2. run the tank half full to kill MOST of the algae with air and sprayed on excel.

3. "rent" an sae for a few weeks by buying and trading it off when it's work is done.

4. strip the tank bare and replant.

5. let it play out.

in any of the plans, I don't know what to do about the cherry barbs. They are special to me, only because they were born here in my house, all of them. but they clearly have a deeply seated gill problem. not all of them, but most. I don't have space to qt them all without getting rid of my lampeyes, which I've been considering anyway since I have 5 or more fry in a different tank.

It would be ideal actually, to get the cherry barbs into QT and get them to breed like crazy, and then remove the adults and let the fry come up as my new cherries... but I don't know if they'd breed while sick.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Sorry to hear. At this point I'd just tear it down and start it all over again with a brand new slate. Keep your barbs in QT until the tank is ready for them.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
mellow,

Wish I had read this sooner, though you have received excellent advice from msj and Dr V, wish I could of been assistance. It's a real shame that the series of meds, coupled by the unfortunate jump when a cure was just around the corner. Also my condolences to the lost of invert stock, those CRS must have been great stock, as I've followed your 20G tall tank set-up.

You're right about the cost-benefits as to replacing your fish vs medicating, but you've gained something much more valuable, experience in the hobby. Not only that, you were able to educate the rest of us also, and we thank you for that.

As to what to do next, I would personally nuke the tank. The filter is dead, there's nothing left. I wouldn't use chlorine, but I'd use PP. You can hit the tank with Potassium Permanganate at a dose of 2ppm-4ppm for 4HRs to kill off remaining bacteria/parasites. A re-dose may be required for egg-laying parasites such as the flukes that msj have mentioned. PP is generally safe for most plants, and is a natural algaeside. It'll take care of your algae problem, kill off any bacteria, and almost eliminate all parasites. If used properly, you can leave the fish in the tank at 2ppm for 4HRs and the fish would be fine.

Neutralize PP by using Prime, or Hydrogen Perozide. Do not use PP within 24 hrs of using Prime prior. Increase effectiveness of PP by doing a large water change and removing organics prior to dosing. A nice pink coloration to the tank is desired, browning of the water indicates exhaustion of PP, and will require another dosage.

Do let me know if you decide to go this route and if I could be of assistance. I too have a scope that you may borrow, or I can help with if needed.

Shawn - NYC

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store