Sexing Green Terror

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
ok now what makes everyone say what they did. why is it male or why is it female.

and still keep in mind this picture was taking just after the fish was in a bucket for 2 hours and the fish is still relatively a juvenile.

:p

ChEeRs_BiG_EaRs

KrUsTy'S FiSh KeEpEr
Mar 22, 2003
Aussie
Visit site
i love all cichlid tanks with large rocks and large swords, they bring out the fish so well, still a nice fish darthv, i like it, though im not even fond of the green terrors. a little to agressive for my liking, good luck wiv breeding though

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I thought it was a male because of the long dorsal and anal fins...

DarthV

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
Fredericton, NB
Visit site
I bet the fins are not the be all and end all of sexing fish. It doesn't have a hump, but it is still young and might not have been the dominant male in its former home. I would imagine venting is probably the most positive way to check the sex, but probably a little harder to do than to look at the fins :)

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I still have much to learn about sexing green terrors as this is really my first attempt, and also my first time keeping any cichlid.

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
well..........................................

your all wrong :p
(Optix: didnt anyone ever tell you to stick withyour fist instinct!!)

Its a female! I had known that before I gave it to Mojo and just to be sure, we vented it again at casa de mojo under his special lighted magnifying contraption thingy.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
does anyone have a pic of a breeding pair?

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
I am surprised. Much more colorful than my female, but mine has taken her lumps from my male. I may have to seperate them. He doesn't hurt her just chases her ALL the time. He pays absolutely no attention to the julis (I know they are Africans but I thought the GTs would eat them instead they are breeding like crazy).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store