Sexing Green Terror

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drake

AC Members
Aug 27, 2004
I had a breeding pair. They produced 2 separate broods. I have 7 that have survived from the 2 groups and are doing well.

I had a rather strange pair. Their habits were the strangest I have ever seen with Green Terrors. The female would lay the eggs and then the male would do his thing. He would then protect the area while the female fanned... seemed normal...

Well, after the little guys hatched; the female chased the male to the corner of the tank and he was not allowed to go anywhere unless it was feeding time. Any other time she would chase him back to the corner of the tank, as well as keeping the rest of the fish in that tank on one side of it.

All was great until and ambitious little Texas Cichlid grew a pair and attacked her one night killing her. I was not happy about this. The Texas is gone from this tank and has been relocated to a friend’s tank.

I have recently picked up a new Green Terror for the tank. I am hoping it is a female but am not sure. The male does not seem to be threatened by it but he is not that aggressive either. The new GT has white instead of the normal orange tips down the dorsal and tail fins, not sure what that means. It also does not appear to be developing a hump like my male has so I am hoping it is a female. Only time will tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store