Shrimp tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
why not try a dirted tank? your plants would love it. :)

and neocardinias and cardinias CAN interbreed, but its extremely rare. probly not gonna happen though. :)
i might do a dirt amk with black gravel over it. if they did breed the babys would go in my main tank to be eatin

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
why not try a dirted tank? your plants would love it. :)

and neocardinias and cardinias CAN interbreed, but its extremely rare. probly not gonna happen though. :)
Would like to know which have interbred. I'm relatively new to shrimp but I've yet to see anything stating there have been crosses between the genera. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though...

AAF, here's a good chart for mixing.

http://planetinverts.com/Will These Shrimp Interbreed.html

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
RCS and blue pearl shrimp are able to adapt to a vast range of water conditions...

CRS, and Bee shrimp are not. If you are going to attempt to keep bee shrimp with RCS (or blue pearls) then you need to set up the tank for the bee (or Crystal) shrimp
Also Bees and crystal shrimp prefer softer water, and the green (babaulti) shrimp I have had in the past prefer water a little bit harder.

You really shouldnt expect just to toss several different species of shrimp into a single tank, and think they all are going to survive & thrive.
In the end, most likely the one that will adapt and overcome, will be the Red Cherry Shrimp.
Which is why Most aquarists start out with them.

Also I have never heard of any caridina/neo-caridina interbreeding, so I would like to see that documentation as well.
Planet invert's Shrimp compatabiltiy chart is nice, but it is based on interbreeding, and not on water condition compatability.
I'm not saying you cant keep thise types in the same tank, I am just saying it is not as easy as setting up a community fish tank.

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
that post ID's both species as Caridina.
It says to find Neocaridia greens to safely house with caridina sp.
It doesnt say thet neos and caridinas can interbreed.

And just for kicks, read the top answer on the yahoo answers thread.
and, ANY one can post an answerin yahoo answers... they really dont have to know what they are saying.

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I would only buy 1 species of shrimp since you are ona low budget.
Buying only a few of each is not a good idea because some will most likely die, and you will be left with only a couple that will not breed .

I would buy about 15 blue pearls and watch them grow & breed.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
story time!!! so i was trying to make the rimless tank and i got the first rim off without any problems and then i got to the bottom rim and flipped it over followed the same steps but i put my foot on it to hold it down and my foot broke through!! now i have gashes all over my foot :) ugh!!! luckily i still have another 10 gallon. i think im getting 8 blue pearls for 20 dollars shipped is that too little? i wanted to buy some plants too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store