Small Anubias Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sorab

AC Members
Sep 5, 2007
London UK
Its 100% an echinodorus species, (sword) the flower is same as the ones mine have grown. The plantlets will start to grow roots of their own, I would leave them until they do though they would probably grow roots if you plant them in or out of the water.

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
I was sold an "Anubias" which turned out to be a sword then! I didn't know swords grow out of water as well (immersed). When I first planted it some 3 months ago, it had a rizone like that of an anubias and was completely submerged. I tied it to a rock and it it grew rapidly beyond the water level.

Could anybody tell me what type of sword it is? The water is too green to get a picture of what's it like below the surface. I'll see if I can take it out completely from the tank without causing too much of a mess, and get a picture.

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
I think its an Echinodorus Argentinensis (Aregentine Sword) or palaefolius. Both look almost the same. According to Wikipedia, it usually grows too big for most aquariums. Mine does 700mm in depth and I am tempted to put the whole plant in and see how it looks.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
I was sold an "Anubias" which turned out to be a sword then! I didn't know swords grow out of water as well (immersed). When I first planted it some 3 months ago, it had a rizone like that of an anubias and was completely submerged. I tied it to a rock and it it grew rapidly beyond the water level.
Immersed is when a plant is under the water, emersed is when it's growing out of water. :)

Could you take a pic of the roots too? Or are they under the gravel? Is the rhizome still there?

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
The rhizone is still there and no its not under gravel. Its tied to a fist-sized rock but the water is too green to get a view without removing it from the tank. I'll try that and post a pic.

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
its pretty much a "peace lily" or argentine sword. marginal plant leaves out of water /roots in

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
Sorry for the delay guys. Here are the pics of the root during a water change.

DSCF0604.jpg DSCF0605.jpg

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
I don't see any rhizome. Are you talking about the long brown thing?

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
:lipssealedsmilie:I thought so

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
It's not a peace lily. Flowers are wrong. Leaves are the wrong green as well. I think probably an Echinodorus of some kind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store