Small Tanks have a bad name

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Good list. Nano tanks are very cool and they present some very unique challenges. I would say that nano-tanks are probably not for beginners, but they seem to be recommended to them the most often.

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
actually lupin not all betta sp. can fit into a 10g, ever heard of B. macrostoma? i've got a friend w/ a breed pair that are both about 4" long iirc, i'd say a 20L min for a pair of those.

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
I have three platies in a heavily planted 5g. The growth is so heavy that parts of the bottom are dark. They do have open space in areas though

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
I actually agree about the Danios, it is a common thing that I have heard of and have no direct experience with though, so I thought it warranted being put up there. I think I will edit the list to include debated species. I didn't put platies in there because I have heard of them growing to three inches, and with the close relation to the swordtail I wouldn't be suprised. I guess I shouldn't pick and choose like that but...I am. Actually, I think I'll just take the Danios off the list.

I had no idea about the mosquitofish, they're so tiny!

Don't worry about naming all the darters as I am not going to bother naming all the killies. There are just too many.

As you have probably noticed, not all of these fish can be mixed together; I have assumed people will do research and realize that only one can fit inside. Have you had any experience with the rarer Apistos I list? Could you tell me which ones I should take down or mark as controversial?

Unless you are talking about a smaller species of koolie loach, I am not comfortable with the notion of any four inch fish in a ten gallon tank, even alone, which they shouldn't be.

Please keep on contributing! This is really interesting.

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
How about some of the blue eyes (related to rainbowfish) like Gertrude's, the only 1 I can think of right now.
I'm tempted to say threadfin rainbows too. I have some in a 20 long above my 10 Q & they don't seem to use the whole tank. I've only had them for 6 months so I'm not sure long term.

Lansirill

Mathemagician
Jun 14, 2007
Washington, DC
Good list. Actually, all betta species can fit in a 10g in pairs or trios.:)
Er, in a divided tank? Or can you actually keep a male and female together (I'm guessing you don't mean MM pairs) in a 10G? I never did much research, but I thought you'd only put a pair in a tank long enough for them to breed, and then divide them again. If you meant females though, a trio would make perfect sense, yeah.

I'm going to admit to being a little curious about this.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Does anyone know if Dermogenys siamensis is marketed?

and: do you think that a male wrestling halfbeak could fit into a ten gallon? I am finding conflicting information.

Last edited:

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Er, in a divided tank? Or can you actually keep a male and female together (I'm guessing you don't mean MM pairs) in a 10G? I never did much research, but I thought you'd only put a pair in a tank long enough for them to breed, and then divide them again. If you meant females though, a trio would make perfect sense, yeah.

I'm going to admit to being a little curious about this.
I doubt this would work with betta splendens, but there are numerous species of bettas that do not share the siamese fighting fish's pugnacious nature. Betta albimarginata would probably be a bit cramped in a 10 but the coccinea group would do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store