Small Tanks have a bad name

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I had no idea about the mosquitofish, they're so tiny!
Mosquitofish aren't *so* tiny. I've caught females pushing 3". Maybe some of the numerous Mexican mosquitofish would be OK in a 10 gallon, but not the common Gambusia affinis and G. holbrooki of the US.

Info on most of the fishes I listed can be found at http://www.nanfa.org/ (you may have to dig around a little). There are also links on that board to a few vendors who sell these fishes.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
I was talking about the mosquito fish that get up to .75 inches. I really hate common names sometimes. I have to admit to not researching them much, besides a little book knowledge on them-I'll do some more and then clarify on the list.

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
You mean the ones that California gov't gives out for pest control? It's the same beast. The males are little, and they're probably distributing mostly juveniles in any case. But those females get pretty sizeable.

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Well I'll be...

I'd never heard those little guys being called 'mosquitofish'. If that is indeed what you meant, than yes, they are suitable for nano tanks. You could lose a school of them in a planted 10 gallon.

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Do you think males of that species would be suitable for a 10 gallon?

Yessss, that's it Jayhawk. Well, I guess it will have to go under the heading of millions of killies.
I suppose you could keep a bunch of male Gambusia in a 10 gallon, but I'm not sure why you would want to. They just look like guppies, but without the bright colors and peaceful attitude, and you won't see any interesting behavior in a single-sex tank.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
FWIW - I'd keep three kuhlies and a male betta in a 10 gallon any day. Kuhlis are not a high bioload fish, several of the different species kept as kuhlies grow 2.5" to 3" max, and I've done it before...it's a nice little set-up. I don't have a tank like this up and running now, but when I did it was heavily planted with 30% weekly water changes and the nitrates stayed at 10 to 15.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store