Snowflake not looking so good

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tikidude

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
SC, USA
have you changed salts or anything else significant lately? Is it possible it is reacting to a change in the tank?

I hope you can save this eel.

rdefino

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. I always got nervous doing large water changes. One time I did a large water change of 20gals and I lost the entire tank except for this eel. The LFS tested my water and could find a problem. So that's why I've been doing 5 gals each day for 2 or 3 days.

I will get a the water parameters first thing in the morning. I'm unable to put a sump on this because of the location of the tank. But I will be upgrading to a 150gal that will have a sump.

I never new I didn't have enough water movement. What the best way to setup the powerheads? Should I have more small ones or put in a couple of bigger one. If I should go bigger, what would you recommend?

He's been acting different for the past week, but I just noticed the scraping in the past couple of days. He hides in the LR so it's hard to see him sometimes.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I shoot for 10% every week. Those that succefully do it every 2 weeks seem to do a bigger change 15-20?

You said the LFS tested and could find a problem? What numbers did they give you?

If you have a FOWLER the general consensus seems to be 10-25x the volume of your tank for gph turnover. Reef tanks go for lots more. I use Maji Jets and point them towards one another but when I upgrade I'll be going for Tunze or Korali. I have other turnover from my pump from the sump as well.

Once you your information gathered I'd post it along with a photo and perhaps OldMan and others that are knowledgable about eels can help more.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Just how did you do that 20 gal water change? For one thing, you first have the water ready with the correct salinity level and you then cut the power to the tank and with a hose from the lfs, you siphon out the correct amount of water your making the change for and then pour slowly the water and then turn back on your tanks power.

Its a mystery on how you done that loosing all your other fish. for once your water change is ready to perform, it only takes a few minutes for I do a 30 gal a week on my two tank, one system and I use a strong pump with a one inch hose to first remove the 30 gals from the tanks and then I wheel it to dump and then I pump it from one Rubbermaid to the one I on wheels and then I wheel over to the tanks and pump it into the tanks. And after that I turn the tanks power back on.

How did you do that 20 gal water change?

Now right now, your changing your story on you water changes, you said before you do every two weeks a 10 gal water change and now your saying something different :confused:

I will get a the water parameters first thing in the morning. I'm unable to put a sump on this because of the location of the tank. But I will be upgrading to a 150gal that will have a sump.
Now you already have some HOB things, right, you can still place a sump on this tank. You can get a 30 gal tank or larger and use a siphon oveflow box and a return pump that will mostly match the flow rate of the siphon overflow box. There be an old saying to where there is a will, there`s a way. besides, by the time you get this 150 together, you properly be too late for the eel. as is, you still not provided a picture.

Your tank is a 75 FO system, I believe that two rio 900 will do, one on both sides with one few inches below the water line and on the other side, half way down. And if another is needed, you can use one of the 300 that you now have for this also depends on how your LR is setup.

The actions your discriping of the sfe, can be most anything as the problem, is the eel acting all else as normal? You had this eel for three years, you must had learned something from how its normally behaves, You can see the eel, no one else.

PS.
I`m also beginning to think that the only problem was that the eel not feed the last time, meaning there is nothing wrong with the eel. If so, I not needed to answer this for then the only problem you had is your setup and how your bio load is to much.

Last edited:

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
WOW I have a young snowflake and I'm only feeding him silver sides that's what I've been told to feed him I guess I need to do more research, this thread has helped. I have him in a 180 GAL with 6 other fish I'm turning the water over about 2800 GAL per min with 200 LBS of LR, I do have squid and krill that I will be adding to his diet.

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
WOW I have a young snowflake and I'm only feeding him silver sides that's what I've been told to feed him I guess I need to do more research, this thread has helped. I have him in a 180 GAL with 6 other fish I'm turning the water over about 2800 GAL per min with 200 LBS of LR, I do have squid and krill that I will be adding to his diet.
Sorry 2800 gal per hour

rdefino

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
Ok, I'm back. Just so you know I'm not changing my story on the water changes. I did a 20gal about 1 1/2yrs ago and lost most of my fish. Not sure why. No one could figure it out. So since then I've been doing 10gals every 2 weeks 5 gals at a time over 2 days.

I just did 15gal water change and it went fine. After doing that I tested the water some hours later:

salt 1.21
PH 8.0
Nitrite .1 PPM
Nitrates 50PPM (high, isn't it)
Ammonia 0

I'm unable to us a sump because of the location of the tank. I will be moving to a new tank with sump and all in about 4months.

Why is my HOB skimmer not good?
So 1500GPH of movement is no enough for a 75gal tank?

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store