Snowflake not looking so good

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
This thread seems to be getting really off track.

Are these the current specs so that we can best help you and your eel out?

tank:
75g FOWLER
no sump
Remora C HOB skimmer
130# live rock
2 300gph powerheads
750 gph pump
Ocean Clear Filter

water:
1500 gph
13% WC every 2 weeks (divided into 2 days using RO/DI)
salt 1.21
PH 8.0
Nitrite .1 ppm
Nitrates 50ppm
Ammonia 0

food:
switching to new fresh seafood source, recently tried getting squid and shrimp from local supermarket, before that clams and krill every 2 days

growth:
smaller than a pencil 3 years ago, now 14"

previous behavior:
very active, often swimming to top of tank to feed, has crawled out of the tank and stayed out for 4 hours but that wasn't recent

current behavior:
2 weeks, hiding, raw scrapes on top of back and face, mouth area looks very thin and uneven

other stock:
blue throat trigger, huma trigger, sailfin tang, 2 damsels

photo:
not currently available

rdefino

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
That's it. I also did a 15gal water change this weekend and a 25gal this morning. I will test everything again tonight and compare the numbers. I'm going to hold off on feeding him for the next few days. I'll post the numbers tonight.

and for the record, I'm not posting lies or going back on my story. Like someone else is thinking.

Let me know if there's any other info I can get.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Grins, I in a PM only for this other person stills not post for others to offer their opinions on the subject. But there is one big difference about that is that he takes my words to heart and has giving me straight answers as I done for him. Like he lives in a apartment housing on the 4th floor and he was thinking about moving on up in gals to a 110 and I told him that I not think that his flooring will support the tanks weight and he should look for others views on this and even get over some contractor to better see if it will be a problem. For the same thing with his tank, its too small to do most of what he been wanting to do and he keeps coming back with other thoughts on what he might try.

I pointed out the skimmer for the tank size and bio load is not ideal, no others say anything on the subject and I do know what his been saying, only I not believe that my point were understood on his eel. For the size I mention and diet are as good as he will get for the eel has been stunt growth and I am concern about the eels further health issues. But also grins, you are now the third person to ask on any harassing were happening and I asked him more then once on when the last time the eel eaten.

So being you think im in some misunderstanding with the type of answers his giving, he can ask at some other point being none are either agreeing or in disagreement with my views, other wise the only thing be left is that I wash my hands on this and I am now sorry for ever having to answed this in the first place for I feel that its been a waste of my time.

Im not angry, its only been a waste of time so good luck there :)

rdefino

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
I've been trying to get a better look at him but he's mostly wrapped up in the LR. I'll try again tonight. I'll at least try to get his head, but for his back, I can only see very little of it.

rdefino

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
OMOFS...In my first post, I said he hasn't eaten in over a week. That's all I know, because sometimes he doesn't eat right away. I use a long set I tweezers to feed him. I'll leave the food near him and sometimes he eats it right away and sometimes he eats later. I always go back after a few hours and pickup what he doesn't eat.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
OldManOfTheSea, I'd really rather keep the thread on topic. I do understand feeling frustrated and that you might not think your advice is being taken to heart. I'd like to stay out of that aspect of it and let that be between the two of you. I'm not here to moderate, just help when I can and get help where I need it.

Rdefino, I know nothing about eels except for a few tidbits here and there. The more you can provide the better and the photos might give someone else something to go on. Have you tried asking in any other forums as well? I'm wondering if there are any tips that have been provided that would help us as well.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
OMOFS...In my first post, I said he hasn't eaten in over a week.
Now missing a week of feeding a eel when is very healthy is nothing to be concern about>

Now please do try to understand something, I'm not all that old but still I've been having difficulties in remembering exactly everything. Also the fact be im not only been speaking to you on a eel question, im speaking to a few dozen in all at this time by emails and so forth. And with that, I difficulties in my typing due to reasons beyond my control.

In any case, a week of not feeding is nothing to be so worried about and if this sfe looks so sick to you, I want you to do this. When you feed the eel to feed it smaller pieces of squid or shrimp, not as big as you done before.
Now only if you had just the eel, then I could say for you to try a few small peppermint shrimps. In either case, not look to try ghost shrimps, for the most part, it would be a waste of time. Also if this eel is looking as lame as you first said, if it comes to the worst of it, how do you feel about force feeding?

I am however concern about your eels health at this time due to the subnormal growth rate it has had. Also with the triggers in this tank, the idea of peppermint shrimps will not work out>

Is the eel in the darkest spot it could go, for I believe that means that time is running out for you readied the time I saved my goldentail and dme? They too were for a while in total hiding and wouldn't stick out for anything, you my friend will have to start leaving the lights off. And im sorry your not another tank at home to get the other fish out so that you might look to start something buy getting yourself a view of some kind of the eel and tell it the best way you can.

Now listen to this, I posted this in RC last year on the male dragon moray. He caused the LR to shifted on both sides of him and he then became trapped. he was at first laying low after I got him out and few days later, he was on his back and taking his last breath. The good then for me was that there were no stress in the tank due too other tank inhabitants and I preceded to treat him in two stages and in that thread at RC, I posted his recovery photo.

Now usually when a eel is out of sight and never comes out it not wishes to come out due too some harassing fish in the tank or as you were saying that it appears to be looking so terrible and depending on how long it gone through this, that it could be that its hiding for its even far worst off, it means now that time is going against its survival. So I hope that its just the other way around, that its only being a little difficult to feed at this time.
Now please do understand one thing here, im putting this together with what you told of this eel for know that with what you been feeding and lord knows if anything else be wrong for the water testing means nothing other then what the reading are.

Also please understand that you last said that you been doing a five gal water change ever so often. Now for the tank size and bio load its not nearly enough to done anything for your tank. I am however feeling real bad about this :(

Grins, how can I help when not one says anything of the tanks filtration system and all else, for either way, it would be nice if some others told him its great or not for its not helping me in getting through to him for if this tank is three years old as it is today running all that time with the type of water changes his made, waste buildups is as well another problem he has there.
The eel unlike the triggers and tang he have will hang low in the tank for the most part and will feel the worst of it as well the skimmers is not as well effective for that tank size and bio load. And air will be more so to the top of the tank then at the sand bed level:

I do believe very strongly that all these are his problems and are working against the eel, I wouldn`t say this if I felt it only might be a possible problem for the tank is three years running and when other hobbyists started any tank with some insufficient equipment that some point after two years if not sooner that problems were beginning to show.

I hope that I said all this in the right way that it can be understood, but right now, my heart is sadden for your sfe :( :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
OMotS, I know with fish, placing the fish in a QT would be the thing to do when it is acting sick. What about with eels? Would it be beneficial to get it in a QT tank for observation and treatment? I condensed the tank parameters a few posts back so hopefully that will help in replying. There are water parameters and filtration specs listed. I'm sure the gentleman would be more than glad to provide answers for anything he understands.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Grins, that would depend on any number of thing for here, yes, it would for both times with the eels on the goldentail and so that I not switched them to a QT for better reasons were not to cause any further stress, but also here in my tanks, its only the eels as the main occupants so stress wasn't a factor here. And for him im afraid it is and treatment would depend also on the eels condition. me, I wouldn't waste any time for from the start of what he were saying, Jim afraid that the sfe is nearing its end if it is now in total hiding.

Again its difficult to say for sure, for im only what was said of the eels condition. I had said that the eel can go through much punishment before death comes and this eel im sorry had suffered a great deal to this point.
Like about the water test results, they a lone no one should simply go by only for how many others you know of whom lost many fishes and their test readings were perfect? It gives those a false sense of security of their tanks true water quality>

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store