Snowflake not looking so good

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I was afraid of that. If it were my eel at this point I'd probably risk the stress and QT it and try to see if I could get it to eat. I'm of course saying this knowing next to nothing about the creatures. This one does sound very sick and 2 weeks sounds like a long time for it to be going through this with no intervention other than what has been listed.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
In all honesty Grins, I not believe the eel have two more weeks im sorry to say, which is why im saying what I am now for the sfe has already suffered plenty and time is now very short :(

Now if it is that what is happening that I believe is, if your a true desire to have a eel, you can speak with me on it, but first you would have to do some serious thinking on your systems filtration. for it would only accure again if you do nothing on this.

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
Oh my goodness!!:argue:Its terrible when you have to argue for a simple answer.I am not implying there is a simple answer to your problem.Its just terrible that some posts end up this way.Obviously you are both misunderstanding each other,and putting Grins in the middle is not cool.They have moderators for that here.If OMOTS is an expert on eels,we should value his knowledge on the subject.This does not mean you will understand what he is trying to tell you,and "vice-versa"He might not be understanding you.I understand your frustration for an answer,when time could be running out for your SFE.You might need to look for other immediate assistance before it's to late.I hope he recovers for you.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Obviously you are both misunderstanding each other
ricsreef, I honestly wish that be the case here, but Grins is not in the middle here for this needed some other person to speak out as well I felt. For I love it too help someone if its helps, but yes, at a point, I did feel that my time was being abused for the most part, but im in no way am angry about it.

This does not mean you will understand what he is trying to tell you,
Ever since the beginning I been in forums, I had most the time nothing but those who misunderstood most of what I said due to my typing and now here, im trying very hard to type every few words and go back to be sure its what Im trying to say. Still in doing so, its no guarantee that I would typed it any better for one time, I was putting a article together and even after going over it dozens of times, I was still making changes in it and it finally took the help of two other people and I still have the parts that were completed. But then later I were told that this needed to be of my very own discoveries and at the start before starting that article, I did pointed out that these are things I mostly learned from so many others.

I mean, I know about the eels heart, glands, liver, brain, stomach and all else of their internal organs and bodily functions and that includes their swim bladder.

Mrktplayer

Registered Member
Jul 18, 2007
redefino, your skimmer is insufficient to handle the extreme bioload of your tank. I am not 100% certain, but from what I've read water quality can deteriorate even if water parameters are fine. Indication of poor water quality is discolor (yellowish) and changed behavior of the livestock, with other symptoms which I don't remember. In this case, your eel isn't eating because it's not feeling well. It's not feeling well because the water quality is poor, regardless of the test results.

You should have a pretty good maintenance routine which seems like is not happening here. During water changes be sure the salinity is the same, and the temperature is the same as well. You'll probably have to remove the trigger if you want the eel to have a chance. You'll have to upgrade a skimmer that can handle a heavy load as yours. I have a 50 gallon tank and I'm about to upgrade to a EuroReef skimmer that handles a heavy load of twice my size. I don't want problems in the future once my snowflake grows, so I'm setting up my tank to prevent these problems from happening.

It is often hard to admit that one is at fault. Your fishes died, and unfortunately the eel may die for a specific reason. We are the caretakers of these animals, so it's our responsibility to do whats best for them. I hope you can be honest with yourself and confront your issues. I noticed that you have made an attempt to improve by doing water changes. Unfortunately that is only patching up the problem... your problem will still remain.

The best maintenance is preventative maintenance.

cheers

rdefino

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
since my skimmer is insufficient, will more frequent water changes help till they are moved to the larger tank? I was under the impression that the skimmer was more than enough for my bioload.

Also my test reports are:

salt 1.21
PH 8.0
Nitrite .05 PPM
Nitrates 20PPM
Ammonia 0

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
personaly, if it was me, i would get the eel out and get it into qt so it can be monitred correctly, see all its habbits, wastch its feeds correctly...but, i would do the same with anything that is sick......

I would agree that the skimmer is not up to the rating of the tank, which i believe is 75 gallon...i would put this skimmer on something like 30 gal tank personally...

just a few thoughts

No one here is stuck in the middle, if a person feels that they may be dragged in, then simply take a step backwards...

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
rdefino, We all learn and some learn the hardest to what's best to do for if you been doing a 30 gal water change a week and you had full control on your not over feeding in which means as well, dumping too much food at any one time for I mentioned that the type of filter you have is as the same as a canister filter and foods become trap in which not do your tanks nitrates any good.

For most, we all not use the same maintenance methods for also when we see that our tanks nitrates are rising that then you need to know that something needs to be change in your water changes, feeding and bio load. For its something that those who do keep a large bio load that your best to know that they either do some serious water changes or their loses are great.

Also, things at the start of ones tank always look good, but when you have loses and certain problems accuring you need to ask yourself if the setup you have should be needing some serious upgrading. Myself back in the early days of the hobby, I too wanted more then my tanks and filtration system could handle, But I also done every week on a 90 gal tank a 40% water change. Now we not had the pleasure of RO water back in the early 50`s. So what I use to do is had two 55 gal tanks in my garage running with carbon filters and water conditioner. But first I had only one 55 gal tank doing this and when I began requiring other tanks, I started a second one.
As for moving later when a larger tank, it will depend much on what are the sfe health conditions be. For as of right now from most of what im able to put together, the eel wont last that long>

Now I done this with many others when the situation be so bad or im not getting a point across as I would had like too. Which state you live in? Now im in NC and I had called other hobbyists in Fla, Texas, Calf, Maine and a number of other states as well. If you like, PM me your number and the best time to call. As of now for today, im home most the time and I not have the kids until after 4 PM my time in which is five hours away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store