Stand build journal for 125 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
Was googleing around for ya and came across these:

http://www.reidsupply.com/Detail.aspx?itm=WC-101

Thought they might do ya.

Best wishes,
Wes
Thanks but I think I have it covered. Actually, finding suitable casters wasn't the problem, as I can order them in from the local vendor rahter than use the ones we stock. It was more of a money thing as even with my cost they are still $8.00 ea and I didn't want to spend the $60. Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
No problem.

I'm watchin' this 'cause I have a 125 gallon Terrarium settin' on a low 18" wrought Iron base. It works out great for me most of the time. But I sure wish I had a place undr to keep some of my supplies more handy.

This build might give me some ideas. I don't have a shop and all the stuff and I'm in a wheelchair ... never stopped me before
... "can't never did nothin' "

Best wishes,
Wes

HisNewLove

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
[\QUOTE]As far as the unicycle goes, I used to ride years ago. the one in the picture actually belongs to my 12 yo. he got into about a year ago and we bought him one and he taught himself to ride. The stilts are his too..and he likes to juggle. I really should check when the last time the circus was in town and someone might have a lot of explaining to do.... LOL[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? We both know where he came from. lol Nice to see you think I would get together with a clown though. lol That is wrong on so many levels.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
I don't like the way you attached the top and the bottom. It will probably be ok, but you should have dado'd or rabit'd the side supports into at least the top of the stand where the tank sits on. What your design does it put most of the load on the screws and some on the plywood sides you will add.

You will be heavily depending on your plywood for both top tp bottom and diagonal support. You should at least make the diagonal supports so as not to put all your eggs in the plywood basket.

If you dado/rabbit the up and down supports to the frame rails, they will be strong enough for everything and your plywood will be just for added strength.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
I don't like the way you attached the top and the bottom. It will probably be ok, but you should have dado'd or rabit'd the side supports into at least the top of the stand where the tank sits on. What your design does it put most of the load on the screws and some on the plywood sides you will add.

You will be heavily depending on your plywood for both top tp bottom and diagonal support. You should at least make the diagonal supports so as not to put all your eggs in the plywood basket.

If you dado/rabbit the up and down supports to the frame rails, they will be strong enough for everything and your plywood will be just for added strength.
I know what you are saying but the plywood on the sides and back will beinside the top and bottom rails and come out flush with them so that will be taking the weight, no different ( if not better) than had I cut 2x4 spacers to fill in the gaps. Also, there will be plywood filling the inside face of the towo middle supports to give me a nailing face for the drawer slides so that will asdd structure and rigidity as well. Should be a problem considering half the stands you see at Big Al's are similar in design and built with particle board. Maybe it will make more sense once I get it done and post some pics.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
[\QUOTE]As far as the unicycle goes, I used to ride years ago. the one in the picture actually belongs to my 12 yo. he got into about a year ago and we bought him one and he taught himself to ride. The stilts are his too..and he likes to juggle. I really should check when the last time the circus was in town and someone might have a lot of explaining to do.... LOL
What are you talking about? We both know where he came from. lol Nice to see you think I would get together with a clown though. lol That is wrong on so many levels.[/QUOTE]

LMAO

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris

It looks like you have the room to put another board between the top/bottom next to the existing supports. This will transfer weight better.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
It looks like you have the room to put another board between the top/bottom next to the existing supports. This will transfer weight better.
That's where I was referring to that the plywood is going to go. the supports will be covered top to bottom in 1/2" plywood and then 3/4" will cover the entire side (the 1/2 is so the side will be flush with the top and bottom rail for panelling)

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Caters can work but unless you have hard smooth surface concrete floors without tile groves they are not very fictional unless you empty the tank to move it. 1200 pounds don't move easily especially on those small wheels. If I were going to use casters I would use 5" RV skid caster wheels which are much larger and therefore role easier and have a load capacity of 1000 Lbs each for only $22. With a simple angle iron perimeter base you would only need 4. But I wouldn't even use them unless I had smooth hard concrete or marble floors becasue anything else like carpeting or even tile would make rolling that much wight (1200 Lbs full) more work then what its worth and without a steel frame base to distribute the load over the wood frame you place allot of pressure point stress on the wood and after a couple years sitting full may warp and sag the frame. Just a recommendation

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
The warp and the sag I think can be avoided which is why I put the casters directly under the vertical supports. I know what you are saying about casters and carpet. The truth is that once in place I don't really have any plans on moving the tank. The casters are more of a "just in case" option. In the event I do have to move the tank, be it for a leak or anything else, and even if I have to drain half of it, I still find moving casters on carpet easier than trying to drag flat bottom furniture, especially once it's made a footprint. I am going to have 6 additional adjustable feet for it as well for weight and stability. That build coming soon. In the meantime I'll try getting the pics up of the building I manged to get in on the weekend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store