Starting a Cichlid tank soon, need advice!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adonism2

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Cincinnati Ohio
I had 3 jack dempseys and 2 red oscars and 1 at a time the jack dempseys killed my oscars. Even though they were very small they killed the larger oscars!

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
Is the oscar a must have for the 75? They are beautiful fish and hardy as long as you do regular water changes. Oscars can get hith disease very easily if you dont do regular wc. They are very aggressive and messy eaters. I would do a mixed african tank, much more variety of colors and you can have more fish in your tank. 1 oscar in a 75 g is a waste of tank space IMO but its your tank. If your stuck on SA cichlids then why not try a couple of cons, a couple meeki's and maybe 1 oscar. just my .02

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Pretty much, as long as they won't fit in his mouth they can live together. The problem is space. Imagine a 1" thick 12-15" serving platter (that is the size an oscar can end up being) in the tank. Imagine it swimming and turning in a 75 gal. It really doesn't leave much room for something else. If you want the oscar, and have a 75 gal, I would not put anything else in there.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Pretty much, as long as they won't fit in his mouth they can live together. The problem is space. Imagine a 1" thick 12-15" serving platter (that is the size an oscar can end up being) in the tank. Imagine it swimming and turning in a 75 gal. It really doesn't leave much room for something else. If you want the oscar, and have a 75 gal, I would not put anything else in there.
:iagree: apart from my oscar was fatter than 1" and he made my 180g tank look small.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
If you're looking for a big, "friendly" cichlid that you can mix with others you may want to consider a Severum.

I'm new to cichlids myself, but so far my red spot gold severum is (1) Magnificent, and (2) Gentle as a summer breeze.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store