Starting a Cichlid tank soon, need advice!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Ok im just going to stick with the above list then, its not to much for my size tank right? I should begin cycling in 2-3 weeks or so. After that im going to buy the fish :). Should I buy them all at once or only a few at a time? Would the older ones harass the newly added fish?
If you do a fishless cycle with ammonia,and you buy all juvies,you should be able to add them all at once.
You going with a 75?

Artemis17

AC Members
Oct 12, 2009
If you do a fishless cycle with ammonia,and you buy all juvies,you should be able to add them all at once.
You going with a 75?
Yeah, is the 75gal going to be enough? And if I have to do a fishless cycle from scratch how long does that usually take?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I think a 75 will be fine. A 90 wouldn't hurt though.
Using ammonia to cycle will take from 2 to 6 weeks. By doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia,it should establish a large enough bacteria colony to allow you to add all the fish at once,rather then adding a few fish,waiting a couple of weeks for the bacteria to to multiply to account for the added bio load,and so on and so on......
Good Luck!

Artemis17

AC Members
Oct 12, 2009
Getting my 75gal this weekend going to start cycling in January. How long does it usually take to do a fishless cycle? My stocking list is going to be:
Serverum x1
Bristlenose Pelco x2
Tiger Barb x8
Congo Tetra x7
Yo-Yo Loach x2
Kuhli Loach x4

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Getting my 75gal this weekend going to start cycling in January. How long does it usually take to do a fishless cycle? My stocking list is going to be:
Serverum x1
Bristlenose Pelco x2
Tiger Barb x8
Congo Tetra x7
Yo-Yo Loach x2
Kuhli Loach x4
I would get 5 or 6 of both of the loaches. Other than that,looks good.
Fishless cycling can take from 2 to 6 weeks.

couger247

AC Members
Sep 4, 2009
Alabama
the tigers live up to their name, vicious and will kill everything slightly smaller than themselves. make sure you devote an entire area to them, make them a cave like i have done for my cichlids (not tigers). THen only get small ones not bigger tigers.
IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET A THERMOMETER!! i made that mistake and my Green Severum died. now i am using my cousin snake_huntr007 he is on here talk to him he knows more about it than i do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store