Starting a Cichlid tank soon, need advice!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I'd leave the tetras out,the JD will more than likely eat them.The Sev may too.
I would get a canister filter.Lots of different brands to choose from.Get one that will turn over the water 6 to 8 times an hour.
Marineland visi therm stealth heaters work well,and have a lifetime guarantee.
If you are not going to have live plants,and I wouldn't with the larger cichlids,any 48'' lighting fixture will work fine.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
With the fish you have mentioned throughout this thread,I would get a single GT,and a single JD.It seems like the larger cichlids peak your interest.They both have lots of color,and lots of personality.They will beg to be feed,and great you at the front of the tank.If you get a 75 gallon,this is all I would put in it.
If you get a larger tank,meaning longer than 4',then you could consider adding some barbs and loaches.
75 gallons is really only big enough for the larger cichlids you mentioned,unless you get Sevs.They are more peaceful,and will tolerate smaller fish much better than the Oscar,GT,and JD in a 75 gallon tank.

EDIT: Angel fish would work with a sev,barbs,loaches,and tetra.Putting all of those in a 75 is a bit much though.

Artemis17

AC Members
Oct 12, 2009
I'd rather have 1 big/medium fish like the Sev and a bunch of small/medium fish with it, then just one or 2 larger Cichlids.

Artemis17

AC Members
Oct 12, 2009
OH! One more question, would it be ok to add a few snails or shrimp in there, or would somebody eat them?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What about a Kuhli Loach or 2, they are supposed to be good in community's, or would that be overstocking it?
Likely to be harassed by the yoyos...they can be pesky. They are great community fish though but also should be in groups.

OH! One more question, would it be ok to add a few snails or shrimp in there, or would somebody eat them?
they would be part of the yoyos diet for sure

Artemis17

AC Members
Oct 12, 2009
Ok im just going to stick with the above list then, its not to much for my size tank right? I should begin cycling in 2-3 weeks or so. After that im going to buy the fish :). Should I buy them all at once or only a few at a time? Would the older ones harass the newly added fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store