Stingray and a stocking question??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
what size of tank are they in? how long have you had them?

does any one else have pics of there tanks?
they are in a 90 gallon tank. One is 18 inches long the other is 16 inches long.

the dominant one is a little bigger.

they are only 2 years old. When I got them they were an inch long. My Baensch atlas lists a maxium size of these barbs at 7 inches. What BS LOL.

Once fish like this start eating good quality high protein food, they can grown one inch per month.

which is really fast.

miketyler

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
ya ive had my fire eel for about three years honestly they are the greatest fish i have ever owned so friendly its unbelieveble

l.MetalHead.l

UnRegistered User
May 7, 2006
why the hell would u ask a question if u know the awnser smart ***?

Dixon

AC Members
Feb 16, 2006
Sunderland UK
first off we all need to chill.

second you dont have a hystrix ray you have a potamotrygon sp peru.
its an undescribed peruvian species supposedly a naturally occuring motoro hybrid.
how do i know well i had one until a few weeks ago.
they do grow a lot bigger than a hystrix probably around the same size as a motoro so around 2'+ disc.
pretty much all river stingrays coming out of peru that are undescribed are tagged as hystrix, hystrix only come from brazil and the export is banned.
i sold mine on as i bought it small as a different species and a 180 will not hold it for ever but will do so for a long time, one thing i found was mine grew slower than other rays i have kept.

Last edited:

cajinfry

Fishkeeper in the making
Jul 3, 2006
Texas
Mike

Since you mind is made up on the ray. I would give the bala back to the LFS they need to be with atleast 4 or more from what I know. I did the same thing. I bought two when I first started out and realized that was not a good deal. Not sure how a Rainbow shark would do they get about 8 inches or so full grown and they can handle being alone as a matter of fact they prefer it. I am not sure thought how it would do with the fire ell or the silver dollars. But you can reasearc that. I think they are a better looking "shark" than a bala.

Chris

somenomai

Registered Member
Jun 28, 2008
Sorry but as a ray keep for over 10 years, i cannot stress how small your tank is for a ray. The only way a 180 gallon would work for a hystrix is if it was by itself. There is no way to keep that much fish in a tank that small.

murraycod

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Nthn Victoria, Australia
People's fishkeeping philosophies are varied. Some derive great pleasure and satisfaction from designing and maintaining a balanced biosphere. Others simply seek a menagerie.
Irrespective of our aquaria perspective, surely we can give and take feedback in good grace.

RHETT

Registered Member
Jan 12, 2009
denver
I also have rays in a 180 and they are breeding and healthy, mine are with discus and red tailed barracudas an alagator gar and an African tiger fish, try that on for size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store