Stingray and a stocking question??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 29, 2007
the ray is 6 inches... hmm there is such thing as growing.... never take into account the size the fish is NOW, always take into account the maximum adult size of the fish.

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
if you found a home for the Ray, you could certainly add another bala in my opinion to a 180. A 180 is enough of room for balas, even if they 14 inches long at full size (IMO).

Heck I jammed a 12incher into my 90 for a few years (his friend the other big shark jumped out..not the greatest tank, but it can be done.

However, there is a big problem here that has not yet been mentioned (I think unless I am blind):

If you have a 180 with a couple of big balas and a big fire eel fine.

No problem there in my opinion.

BUT this is the problem with the ray:

there are VERY SENSITIVE to water quality.

and you will have reasonably high nitrates no matter what with 2 or more great big balas and a great big fire eel, especially feeding them the cut and live foods that you are.

That ray have one heck of a time surviving in those conditions.

he is okay now. but he probably won't survive in the long run.

They are not hardy fish.

They are very sensitive.

And even in a big tank, you will have high nitrates with all those giant fish. guranteed.

The Ray just won't make it.

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
When I used to keep rays (at my old work), if the nitrates got up much past 25, the rays would start "blushing" (there undersides would start to turn red) and then they usually died soon after.

they don't hold up to poor water quality like some fish do.

And unless you were to change 50% of your tank daily, with those big monsters in there, you will have high nitrates.

miketyler

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
nitrates are between 10 -15 do tests and water changes every 3 to 4 days so the under control

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
nitrates are between 10 -15 do tests and water changes every 3 to 4 days so the under control

ah..but thats with only one (not yet fully grown) bala shark and a fire eel that still has 18 inches of growth to go...

your nitrates may be fine now...but you are keeping big fish that still have lots of room to grow..

trust me - big fish = nitrates.

even in big tanks. Its just the way it goes.

:dance2:

Mar 29, 2007
before you say anything, 12 volt man is getting a bigger tank for those barbs. I think.....

miketyler

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
what size of tank are they in? how long have you had them?

does any one else have pics of there tanks?

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
before you say anything, 12 volt man is getting a bigger tank for those barbs. I think.....

yes, but it won't be tomorrow unfortunately. Hopefully within a year to year and a half.

I don't want to give my fish to the LFS because I am afraid someone will buy them and kill them.

they might be a little cramped, but at least I know as long as I am looking after them they will have proper care. and stay healthy. but a little cramped...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store