Stocking question for a 20g Long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
yay...

M8D

AC Members
Mar 26, 2013

acclimating the fish now. just put in more plants. very pleased <3 my 2nd piece of driftwood is coming in monday and will go on the left.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
...It seems inconceivable to me that a fish species that has evolved over thousands of years to function best in some specific water parameters is somehow going to suddenly change its biological system. I'm being very general here, and there are a number of related factors involved. But thinking in general terms, keeping hard water fish in harder water and soft water fish in somewhat softer water has been shown to extend the lifespan, all else being equal.

Byron.
Byron, I hear you and you seem to be very knowledgeable on all that is aquaria, but you have to consider the fact that most of the fish we purchase have been born, raised and bread, generation after generation in a commercial tank environment. This environment is likely very different than they'd see in the wild.

I have no idea how this effects the longevity of the fish, but there's many a $1/ea fish out there that can live 6, 8, + years with reasonable care.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Byron, I hear you and you seem to be very knowledgeable on all that is aquaria, but you have to consider the fact that most of the fish we purchase have been born, raised and bread, generation after generation in a commercial tank environment. This environment is likely very different than they'd see in the wild.

I have no idea how this effects the longevity of the fish, but there's many a $1/ea fish out there that can live 6, 8, + years with reasonable care.
+1

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Really Hr0th9ar? how many $1 fish do you have that are 6-8 years old? And how many have you purchased in your lifetime?
Freshy? what's your body count?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Really Hr0th9ar? how many $1 fish do you have that are 6-8 years old? And how many have you purchased in your lifetime?
In their defense, my petsmart sells common plecos for $1 when they have sales going on and they can live for 10+ years. Also, the feeder fish ( comet goldfish) which can live for decades...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm not an expert like yourself and really don't know why I'm responding, but I've only seriously been back into aquaria for a little over a year. I did dabble with it in the 1970's and 80's, but things were a bit different them. I lost 5 out of 15 Petco $1/ea neons with a horrible case of ich, 1-3days after I bought them a year ago. I also have lost a male betta and a female black mollie. Only the mollie was a mom/pop LFS fish.

Feel free to carry on with one of your expert dissertations.

M8D

AC Members
Mar 26, 2013
hahaaaaaaaaaaa alright.... o-o I think that's enough of that convo folks heh.

Here's the tank!

all finished and pretty. This was just a few days after i put the fish in so yeah... they're all hiding and stuff but you can see my betta.

My sword that exploded during the cycling process with my betta in the pic.

I did lose one Harlequin, most likely from the stress as all my other fish seem perfectly fine. 3 of the 4 remaining are usually always out but there's the 4th one who's still hesitant. He/she is smaller than the others so that could be why, could also be that I don't have the full school yet. Gotta get 6 more Harly's to bring my total to 10 and I might get one more false Julii cory to bring the total to 6, but Idk with the BN Pleco in there as well. 5 was what I was originally wanting, and they seem fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store