Stocking Suggestions for a 4 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
BettaFishMommy:

The tank was cycled with a combination of Tetra SafeStart and fish food. The tank has also been sitting for three months after the initial cycling, and ammonia is 0.
if the tank has been sitting without an ammonia source for three months then i would say it is not cycled any more. zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and zero nitrates say it is not cycled. as i mentioned, that many plants would not account for zero nitrates.

put some fish food in the tank or pure ammonia in the tank and test for ammonia 24 hours later. if you have anything other than zero, then your tank will need cycled again.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
Unfortunetly, I am afriad you left your tank for too long for the cycling rescources you used to keep effect :( I would add fish food and then test for ammonia, then once ammonia vanishes, test for nitrite and then finally nitrate, once you get 0 on both nitrtrite and ammonia, you could add some shrimp and a female betta ;D

Sushigeek

AC Members
Nov 20, 2011
Are you sure? I have been told by various employees at fish stores that I could cycle my tank and let it sit. I just added some flake food and will test my water again in 24 hours.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Gambusia and mosquito fish are the same thing. Actually, Gambusia is the genus name. The most common mosquito fish are Gambusia affinis and Gambusia holbrooki. I have experiance with both, and they can both be pretty nasty. I still love them though. Really and interesting fish IMO.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Would be more effective to dose ammonia rather than wait for the food to start breaking down, but same basically the same outcome.

Anyways, as mentioned if there was no food source for that long then I would be hesitant to still call it cycled. But bacteria are resilient things so without testing its impossible to say one way for sure or the other.

Sushigeek

AC Members
Nov 20, 2011
Originally posted by RisiganL.: Gambusia and mosquito fish are the same thing. Actually, Gambusia is the genus name. The most common mosquito fish are Gambusia affinis and Gambusia holbrooki. I have experiance with both, and they can both be pretty nasty. I still love them though. Really and interesting fish IMO.
RisiganL.: I think I'd like to go through with the mosquitofish plan per your advice, but I still don't know how many I should stock and what sex.:confused:

Sushigeek

AC Members
Nov 20, 2011
Just tested my water, and still have no ammonia, nitrate or nitrite after adding fish food. :woot:So am I still clear to add livestock.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
ammonia won't show right away. That is why most prefer to dose with pure ammonia to cycle. You can then dose to 2ppm and check it 24 hours later to see where you stand with your cycle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store