Sulawesi Shrimp Journal (Caridina Dennerli & Woltereckae) Sulawesi Tank #1

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Posted: 27 Sep 2009 08:51 pm

Good news!!!

Found my first pregnant cardinal shrimp in my tank! She was hiding in the back and I noticed that her abdomen was a little darker than it should be. She was also trying to hide the fact that she was pregnant by having herself face towards me and not show me her entire body (frontal view). But being a peeping tom that I am (not really), I was able to snap some pictures of her!

Today will be marked as DAY 1 of gestation period. Let the countdown begin!

FYI. Only one pregnant cardinal shrimp to my knowledge. The pictures below show the same shrimp. The reason for their lack of color is because when I turn off lights for a period of time, they lose their colors temporarily. Some turn this faded pink/red color, others turn a very dark blue, others a light blue. Not sure what triggers the blue and red coloration but this is just how it goes.

Water Parameters that the shrimp got berried in are:

Ph - 8.0

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Kh/Gh - ?? (I don't test)

Temperature (F) - 80-84

Food:

Shirakura Algae Pellets 'Special'

Shirakura Micro-powder

Frozen Bloodworms

img_2386_662.jpg img_2389_810.jpg img_2392_512.jpg img_2393_912.jpg

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
And... that is it. We're in the present now, no new updates. So future posts will be the date of my post, unless stated otherwise.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Ok .I need to go get a bib on :drool: ,absolutely beautiful shrimp.I want some .

More pics please.

:iagree:

I'll try to get some tonight, when I am back home. Perhaps I'll attempt to snap some shots of what they look like when they're dark blue and light blue. It's hard to get them in that state because first off, the lights need to have been off for a while. Second, most of the time, many of them scramble back into the shadows when I turn the lights on so I have a small time frame of trying to snap a shot. And then to top it all off, I have to wait for them to hold still a bit to take a macro shot.
So... I'll try later :) No promises though! But I definitely will have an image of them being blue, eventually, if not tonight...

Comments about this journal is always welcomed. What do you want to see/learn about? Feel free to make a request so I can make observations and/or take pics for you. Plus, I get an idea of what other people are looking for in terms of finding out more info on husbandry.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
First off, thank you for making the effort to create a detailed account of your experiences with these wonderful shrimp! I know I'll be getting some of these exact shrimp some day in the future, so it's nice to get thorough info on their husbandry. I do have a request, though. Could you test for gh/kh? I have heard several times that sulawesi critters need water with a high ph and low gh/kh. Just wondering if you've unknowingly met that odd combination.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
First off, thank you for making the effort to create a detailed account of your experiences with these wonderful shrimp! I know I'll be getting some of these exact shrimp some day in the future, so it's nice to get thorough info on their husbandry. I do have a request, though. Could you test for gh/kh? I have heard several times that sulawesi critters need water with a high ph and low gh/kh. Just wondering if you've unknowingly met that odd combination.
I don't have test kits to test those and I'm too cheap to do that right now. But if anyone wants to send me a test kit... :evil_lol:
I'll see what I can do about that though. Hopefully a friend has one to borrow or something.

feiyang

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
I don't have test kits to test those and I'm too cheap to do that right now. But if anyone wants to send me a test kit... :evil_lol:
I'll see what I can do about that though. Hopefully a friend has one to borrow or something.
I have a GH/KH test kit I can lend to you, but they have been 2-3 years, not sure if they are still accurate. If you think it is ok, just pm me. You know who I am, in Milpitas. :)

mmm_unit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2008
great thread! i especially enjoyed your cpo one as well. do you have any other threads or a list of your other threads? your descriptions and pictures are fantastic btw.

thanks for doing us all a favor.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
im stealing your idea of this thread for my future assassin snails

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store