Sulawesi Shrimp Journal (Caridina Dennerli & Woltereckae) Sulawesi Tank #1

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
oh and what size tank is this? you might have wrote it but idk....

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
im stealing your idea of this thread for my future assassin snails

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192938
pretty much covers assassins. Although I guess it wouldn't hurt to have more info on them. I would recommend making a thread/journal about something that has very little info on though. Perhaps tylos? I'd do tylos but to be honest, I don't find snails anywhere near as interesting as shrimp/crays so I don't really want to bother with getting data from them.

great thread! i especially enjoyed your cpo one as well. do you have any other threads or a list of your other threads? your descriptions and pictures are fantastic btw.

thanks for doing us all a favor.
CPO and Sulawesi (this one) journals are the only ones I have. I only made these threads because I feel that there's not enough sufficient information out there for us English speakers / American boards. Furthermore, they're gaining popularity in the hobby and with its popularity rising and information not really rising along with it, it seems a little strange to me that people aren't sharing their records/data about them. Perhaps they all died too early to record anything? :p: All jokes aside, I'm doing these types of journals only for things that have little detailed info on them. It wouldn't make sense for me to make the 100th "Red Cherry Shrimp" journal or another "Crystal Red Shrimp" journal. You catch my drift, yes?
I'm glad you enjoy them though! Happy to hear :)

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
This is very informative. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I have wanted some Cardinal Shrimp ever since I first saw pictures of them but my inexperience and lack of funding has kept me from getting any. Now I have some cherry shrimp and I've been working on the basics with keeping shrimp. I'm curious to see how your shrimp do as time goes on. What I hear most often is Sulawesi shrimp need perfect water conditions (Ph, temp, Kh/Gh) in order to survive. Do you have much fluctuation in Ph and Temp? I keep hearing these guys are fragile but so far you seem to be having success. I hope all continues to go well!

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
This is very informative. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I have wanted some Cardinal Shrimp ever since I first saw pictures of them but my inexperience and lack of funding has kept me from getting any. Now I have some cherry shrimp and I've been working on the basics with keeping shrimp. I'm curious to see how your shrimp do as time goes on. What I hear most often is Sulawesi shrimp need perfect water conditions (Ph, temp, Kh/Gh) in order to survive. Do you have much fluctuation in Ph and Temp? I keep hearing these guys are fragile but so far you seem to be having success. I hope all continues to go well!
I too, prior to owning some myself, have read that they're very fragile and require pristine and perfect water to survive. I wasn't sure it these were facts or just overly careful hobbyists who baby their shrimp simply because they are expensive specimens. And yes much as people don't want to admit how OVERKILL they are sometimes in terms of care for their pets, it does happen very often. By overkill, I mean people who go the extra mile plus 10 more, and that extra 10 miles has negligible effects to their pet, sometimes it's even damaging because they're not allowing nature to take its course!
Right now, I do not believe that the Sulawesi shrimp are as demanding as people claim them to be. I will still classify them as an expert level shrimp but certainly not something that dies if their PH drops by .2 or when temperature goes down to 78 when it was 82 degrees 24 hours ago.

I don't do water changes in this tank, only top offs. I use dechlor tap water and our dechlor tap here in San Jose is about 7.6 ph, medium water. I've topped off with RO water before, but that was only because I was too lazy to get my prime and fill up my bucket. When I do use RO water though, it was 100% RO water only and had no ill effects to my shrimp. I have somewhat of a lid on it, so top offs don't occur very often as it minimizes evaporation. During the hotter days here in CA, my tank lingered in 80-84 day and night. With the colder days coming in recently, my temp flux from 78-84. Still no ill effects and they do just fine. I cycled the tank with Sulawesi shrimp for crying out loud! People probably think I'm crazy but eh, I did it. Do I recommend others to do it too? Certainly not! It was simply a miscalculation on my part. I originally figured that a simple seeding will let me cycle my tank for them. I only took into consideration the shrimp and not snails. When you add on the 25+ snail bioload... that's a whole new story there, thus triggering my tank to cycle up.

In any case, I do hope my success continues on and I start seeing my C. Woltereckae get berried. The pregnant one that I had when my batch came in dropped her eggs during her 4th day in my tank. She lost them slowly, one by one. They were still nice and dark colored, so I don't think they were ready to hatch. I don't see walking baby C. Woltereckae either, so I'm concluding that the water parameter change from 7.4-7.6 (their water in the baggie they came in) to my water (which was 7.8 at the time and went up to 8.0 over the course of 2 days and is now stable at 8.0) made her drop em to acclimate to new parameters.

And... that is all. Pics later tonight~~~

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Here's a blurry shot of the Dark Blue Cardinal shrimp I was talking about. I was using my iPhone when taking this picture and it was moving, so it isn't exactly the clearest thing in the world... My iPhone normally takes better pictures but things that are small like these shrimp need to sit still for it to take good pics:irked:

Nonetheless, it gets you an idea!

IMG_0023.JPG

FasterShrimpo

AC Members
Jul 13, 2009
:clap: So far, so great! Do you think you will be selling them in the near future?
:bowing:
:y220e:
:thm:

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Holy Cow!!! Right after saying that I hope to see a pregnant C. Woltereckae, I went downstairs to check on my tank. I noticed one of my Woltereckae was a little dark down there and was hiding very suspiciously under a rock. I raised my eyebrow going, "Hmm..."
C. Woltereckae are extremely shy already in general, even when not berried and more so than C. Dennerli. The dark spot really got me curious anyway, so I grabbed my plant tweezers and started to try and scare it out of its hiding spot. She was incredibly clever and would stick herself between rocks where I couldn't angle my tweezers into them. So I had to use other tools to scare her out, but aside from that boring detail, when she finally came out, my speculations were confirmed!

She's berried! Woohoo!
Today, Sept. 30, 2009 marks the date for DAY 1 of gestation for my C. Woltereckae.

I couldn't take close-up pics because my camera can only do so much. However, I do think it's a nice shot and it's pretty clear! (Or at least it is on my macbook...)

Berried parameters are similar to my first C. Dennerli

Ph - 8.0

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Kh/Gh - ?? (I don't test)

Temperature (F) - 78-84 (Changed from 80-84 to 78-84)

Food:

Shirakura Algae Pellets 'Special'

Shirakura Micro-powder

Frozen Bloodworms

IMG_2396.JPG

Last edited:

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
Congrats! :cheers:

Those are some gorgeous shrimp. :) Maybe someday I'll convince my wife that it's okay to spend a ton of money on some ;)

pbmax

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store