Surge protector: Not for use with aquariums...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
So I just bought a new surge protector for my aquariums, and decided to read through the packaging to find out just what the hell "300 joules of protection" means (I have no idea still), and I bumped across a line that read "Not for use with aquariums or other water-related products". It's a real shame that I'm going to ignore that warning, a real shame. Though I am curious, why was there a warning - simply because there's a potential for water to reach the surge protector?

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
I'd say that's it, but I'd use it also :)

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I didn't mean all surge protectors, just mine.. and seemingly all the other Belkin ones in my house. Strange warning. Why not just use "Keep dry"?

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
joules is the unit for power consumption. The power portectiopn from that surge protector is very low, it protects agaisnt a surge of x amount of joules. Most computer surge protectors protect with my higher joule counts to prevent the surge from passing on to the computer or other electronics equipment.

ANYway you look at it, you should keep any power strip away from where it can get wet, thats just simple common sense

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
There is very little equipment in this hobby that would even care to be on a surge protector. Maybe some of the expensive temperature controllers like the medusa would benefit. Otherwise, your magnetic impellers, and most of your motorized gear, and lighting don't care.

Cheap surge protectors don;t last long anyway... Don't waste your money.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
joules is the unit for power consumption. The power portectiopn from that surge protector is very low, it protects agaisnt a surge of x amount of joules. Most computer surge protectors protect with my higher joule counts to prevent the surge from passing on to the computer or other electronics equipment.
I see. The surge protector my PC uses isn't much higher (585 I believe), though everything collected to it still runs like new, so I suppose the surges I get aren't that powerful.

There is very little equipment in this hobby that would even care to be on a surge protector. Maybe some of the expensive temperature controllers like the medusa would benefit. Otherwise, your magnetic impellers, and most of your motorized gear, and lighting don't care.
I should say, I bought it simply because I needed extra outlets, not because I fancied surge protection.

tcarswell

Bichir guy
Jan 7, 2009
Sacramento California
I use the nice ones with the cable hookups and phone hookups. Never had a problem

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store