SW Noob needing help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Can I take some cycled sand from my mbuna cichlid aquarium? How will I know when the tank is cycled? I've heard adding some frozen shrimp helps, is that true?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Since you have aragonite sand, yes you can use it...but as mentioned already, the bacteria living in it will not survive SW.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Do you know exactly how I should "aqua scape" the aquarium? I was thinking a fuzzy dwarf lion fish and the snowflake moray eel, so I would have plenty of caves and 1 major cave, possibly a large flowerpot upside down. What would you recommend for a 55 gallon SW, I can't get anything too expensive. (I saw a 300 dollar filter at my LFS today) What shape of tank is good for the fish, I saw a marineland 56 gallon column and it looked nice. I really liked the hexagon tanks, I think more area is better, am I right?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Do you know exactly how I should "aqua scape" the aquarium? I was thinking a fuzzy dwarf lion fish and the snowflake moray eel, so I would have plenty of caves and 1 major cave, possibly a large flowerpot upside down. What would you recommend for a 55 gallon SW, I can't get anything too expensive. (I saw a 300 dollar filter at my LFS today) What shape of tank is good for the fish, I saw a marineland 56 gallon column and it looked nice. I really liked the hexagon tanks, I think more area is better, am I right?

No hex and no column. A 75 should be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
65g if its possible, I'd rather have the extra 6" of depth makes aquascaping a lot easier. You could put in a pvc tunnel for the eel.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
A 60 "tub" is a nice tank 36x18x20. I wouldn't get anything narrower than 18" for aquascaping purposes. Just my opinion.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
^^ +1 the Aqueon 65g is 36x18x25.. Not sure which 60 you were thinking of but you mentioned marineland a few times for other tanks the marineland 60 only has 12" depth. Some people think the 48" width is better but the extra 6" depth will make your rockscaping much easier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store