Tank fogging!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
well i just drilled about 27thousand holes and im seeing how its working right now;; i think that im prob going to get a metal screen top

i just have one more ? i have air plants in there and one of em' just died i think that it was too close to the light but idk does anyone have any great tips to keeping plants in a plaudarium and even more specifically;; air plants??

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Air plants (Tillandsia) need lots of humidity, but prefer dry substrate, which makes them a bit difficult in a paludarium. It looks like you have T. ionantha in there, which may not be the best choice. Check Black Jungle for many species of Tillandsia and other epiphytes; they also have basic care info to help you pick the best plants.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
On my Fire Bellied Toads' tank, I have a large sheet of clear vinyl taped down on the screen top with about 6 inches of it not taped. And every morning, I close the flap to let the humidity rise to the point where it starts to kind of "rain" inside of the tank. Then at about 5 pm, I open the flap and let out the humidity for the night.

So far, it's been working pretty good for keeping the moss in there humid, and also the FBTs are always out on the land side now.

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
since air plants aren't the best choice for my tank setup;; what do you suggest b/c i wanna keep lots of greenery in there???

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
You can also move the air around in the tank by buying an aquarium air pump. Just run the hose through a small hole at the top into the tank to help cycle fresh air into it so it doesn't get stagnant in there.

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
i have the air pump in there allready since i drilled those holes in the lid last night;; it hasn't been fogged so i think that it's fixed thanks everyone for the help

since air plants aren't the best choice for my tank setup;; what do you suggest b/c i wanna keep lots of greenery in there???

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Maybe go with certian ferns and pothos. Depends on how wet it'll get. The brom will start rotting out at that humidity.

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
where would i go about getting pothos or peperomias?? are tese common or would i have to go crazy trying to find these? at "petsmart" they sell semi-aquatic plants in little tubes;; would these be good for my tank setup?

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Pothos is a very common houseplant, and should be available at any store that carries houseplants. Peperomias can sometimes be found at these same stores; if not, they can be found at the Black Jungle site I referred you to earlier. A few epiphytic ferns and selaginellas can be found at home centers or nurseries, but a greater selection is available online.

Do you know the names of any of PetsMart's semi-aquatics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store