tank mates for my betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
You're kidding right? I myself think a 3 gallon is to small for the Betta but didn't feel I should say so.

You're saying that the opinion of a few of the more experienced members of this forum are basically worthless and you know more? Then why ask?

If anything could be added its shrimp,I wouldn't even add a snail.

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
I really wouldn't add anything. A 3 gallon is barely big enough for a betta. And besides, some bettas might kill shrimp or peck at snails and in a 3g thats more likely.

dreamsINdigital

AC Members
Aug 2, 2009
You're kidding right? I myself think a 3 gallon is to small for the Betta but didn't feel I should say so.
I was thinking that too. I've heard 5 gallons minimum for a betta. Just because you can keep it in a smaller tank doesn't mean you should.

Moskau

AC Members
Aug 15, 2009
I've been keeping my betta males solo in 4-5 gallon tanks and personally wouldn't add anything else with them. I've temporarily stored guppy fry in a breeder box and the betta wouldn't stop trying to get them.

In a 15 gallon tank I've kept 3-4 female bettas with guppies without any specific problems. I did put shrimp in there a while ago and the bettas wouldn't leave them alone so I took them out.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
A mystery snail requires 2.5 gallons by itself.... So that leaves 0.5g for a 2" (at least) betta. That even violates the old inch per gallon rule pretty drastically.

jooranda

AC Members
May 18, 2009
uk
just the betta in that size tank mines in a 5 gall on his own an his just fine. dont forget to say hi everyday for a little interaction an he will be even better :)

jschall

AC Members
Aug 14, 2009
Let me explain my thinking:
There are two factors involved in stocking, the first is waste load. You add more fish, you have to feed them more, you're adding more to the system which ends up as nitrate, phosphate, etc. which need to be removed by water changes, plants.

Being that I go buy 25 gallons a week of RO water for my 75 gallon tank, I wouldn't have trouble doing sufficient weekly water changes to keep the nitrates down.

The second is crowding, and this is mainly why I'm asking here what I should add. Obviously active, mid-level fish will crowd out other active, mid level fish more than a loricariid or shrimp would crowd out a surface dweller. I think things that stay fairly small (2" and less) would do fine in this respect. This is why I said that ottos are the obvious thing I could add, however I am looking for more options, as always.

Of course, I'll set up the tank with only the betta and some filter squeezings from an established tank before adding anything else.

jschall

AC Members
Aug 14, 2009
Also, gallon per inch is complete bogus and would have me putting a 6' shark in a 4' long, 75 gallon tank. It also fails similarly at the extreme small end of the scale.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
In a 3 gallon tank, a betta alone is enough. Anything else runs the risk of being attacked by said betta. Furthermore, 3 gallons is not enough water to keep healthy for more than one fish. If you want more tan the betta, get a bigger tank where all inhabitants can live happy an healthy. Just because there's room (physically) to put in another fish doesn't mean they will be able to thrive in those conditions.

ottos need a group of at least 4-5 to be happy and thrive. There's no way you can accomplish that in a 3 gallon tank. I know you don't want to hear this, but please don't put more than just the betta in the 3 gallon. If you want more stock, upgrade the tank size.

thatbettaglo

AC Members
Jun 25, 2009
Florida
All you people are nuts, people put bettas in pickling jars for crying out loud!

I have a male betta, three zebra danio, an oto, and a snail in my 2.5 gallon tank. Everyone gets along, my water quality is spot on, and and my betta is happy as a clam!

I used to have him in a 1 liter betta tank, and stocking is fine in moderation just dont add like a pleco or something that gets huge.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store