tank mates for my betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
jschall -

Three gallons is really small to be adding more than ONE fish and maybe a few shrimp or snails. There won't be any room in there for any more than one to actually swim around - They are going to be so cramped, it's going to get ugly in there....
Not to mention, most of the other fish you mentioned (Corys, otocinclus, etc) all require or DESIRE to be kept in schools of six or more - How you going to manage that in a 3 gallon tank?
Not happening where I come from..... Not fair to your Betta either, I have to add!

Sorry pal,
CptKD

tropicana3219

Mrs. MonsterFishKeeper
Getting a 3 gallon marineland eclipse for my betta.
What can I put in there with the betta that would be appropriate for the size of the aquarium?
Great qeustion! I am getting either a 2 1/2 gallon or 5 gallon and was wondering the same thing. Research tells me no female betta's and of course no other males, but not much else can go with them. I'd love to hear suggestions?

texasguy

AC Members
May 13, 2009
About bettas not being territorial to other fish that dont look like them:
It doesnt matter wether or not the fish looks like a betta or not. you would be pretty terriotorial with an oto shoved up ur nose

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
The commonly accepted min. tank size for a single adult betta splendens for permanent housing is 2.5 gal.
Pickle jars and smaller containers are for raising or selling them.

I'm going to suggest upgrading to a 5 gal if you want other fish.
It does seem like otocs are common tankmates for bettas in smaller quarters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store