tank mates for my betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
Let me explain my thinking:
There are two factors involved in stocking, the first is waste load. You add more fish, you have to feed them more, you're adding more to the system which ends up as nitrate, phosphate, etc. which need to be removed by water changes, plants.

Being that I go buy 25 gallons a week of RO water for my 75 gallon tank, I wouldn't have trouble doing sufficient weekly water changes to keep the nitrates down.
It's not such a problem with nitrates as it is with the ammonia and nitrite, which are toxic to fish from .25 parts per million and up. In such a small tank the parameters are less stable and there is a greater chance of a toxic ammonia or nitrite spike which will quickly kill off otos as they are sensitive to water quality, and your betta's fins will be more likely to rot and get infected.

The second is crowding, and this is mainly why I'm asking here what I should add. Obviously active, mid-level fish will crowd out other active, mid level fish more than a loricariid or shrimp would crowd out a surface dweller. I think things that stay fairly small (2" and less) would do fine in this respect. This is why I said that ottos are the obvious thing I could add, however I am looking for more options, as always.
This is true, but you need to take into account the aggressiveness of the betta and the bioload of all the fish you are adding, which takes me right back to the fact that smaller tanks are less stable parameter-wise and if you put in more bioload than the tank can handle you will end up killing EVERYTHING or atleast damaging it in some way. The only thing you COULD add would be some shrimp which may end up as food for your betta.

Of course, I'll set up the tank with only the betta and some filter squeezings from an established tank before adding anything else.
See above...

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
All you people are nuts, people put bettas in pickling jars for crying out loud!

I have a male betta, three zebra danio, an oto, and a snail in my 2.5 gallon tank. Everyone gets along, my water quality is spot on, and and my betta is happy as a clam!

I used to have him in a 1 liter betta tank, and stocking is fine in moderation just dont add like a pleco or something that gets huge.

Good luck!
Just because people do it and sometimes get away with it for a while doesn't make it proper or healthy for the fish.

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
All you people are nuts, people put bettas in pickling jars for crying out loud!

I have a male betta, three zebra danio, an oto, and a snail in my 2.5 gallon tank. Everyone gets along, my water quality is spot on, and and my betta is happy as a clam!

I used to have him in a 1 liter betta tank, and stocking is fine in moderation just dont add like a pleco or something that gets huge.

Good luck!
Just because they keep them in there does not mean that they are happy in there. There is a huge difference between surviving and thriving. Your tank is extremely overstocked- keeping that many fish in that small of a tank is like you living in an elevator with 5 other people and you all have to go to the bathroom in the elevator. I can't see how your water quality could possibly be spot on or your fish could be happy on in a tank like that. That is enough fish for a 10 gallon tank.

jschall

AC Members
Aug 14, 2009
It's not such a problem with nitrates as it is with the ammonia and nitrite, which are toxic to fish from .25 parts per million and up. In such a small tank the parameters are less stable and there is a greater chance of a toxic ammonia or nitrite spike which will quickly kill off otos as they are sensitive to water quality, and your betta's fins will be more likely to rot and get infected.
I don't think ammonia and nitrites will be an issue, as long as the tank is well-planted, isn't overfed and the BB is allowed to get established before additional fish are added.

Attached is a picture of the betta's current tank. Ammonia and nitrites tested 0 twice a day for the last several days.
Don't judge, it's only been in there for 5 days, and it's better than the LFS accommodations. The 3 gallon is on the way.

My priority will ALWAYS be to ensure that the water quality is good and the fish are happy. If it seems too small or anything spikes, I'll move them into a 10 gallon. I keep a lot of fish healthy and happy, and I don't plan to stop now.

I understand the nitrogen cycle and have a pretty good amount of experience with fishkeeping, and I don't agree that it's particularly outrageous to put more than a single betta in a 3 gallon.

photo4.jpg

Last edited:

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
Why don't you just get the 10g now instead of possibly having to move them later? It would be best for the fish and best for you too as you'd have to do less maitenence and you could have more fish. In a 10g you could do 1 betta, 4 otos, and maybe some small tetras like cardinals or neons.

jschall

AC Members
Aug 14, 2009
Why don't you just get the 10g now instead of possibly having to move them later? It would be best for the fish and best for you too as you'd have to do less maitenence and you could have more fish. In a 10g you could do 1 betta, 4 otos, and maybe some small tetras like cardinals or neons.
Nowhere to put another 10g. The 10g I'd move them into if there were any problems is set up as my QT tank.

huffmagx

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Georgia
Bettas are pretty territorial at best so even if the tank wasn't so small you might have an issue adding other fish but a 3 gal is kind of small. I kept my betta in a 5 and he still did not want company except to breed and then I had to remove the female afterwards else he beat the "bejezus" out of her.

You might want to give it some thought then you can add if you think it will work out but have a back up plan just in case.

Good Luck to you!!

jschall

AC Members
Aug 14, 2009
Bettas are pretty territorial at best so even if the tank wasn't so small you might have an issue adding other fish but a 3 gal is kind of small. I kept my betta in a 5 and he still did not want company except to breed and then I had to remove the female afterwards else he beat the "bejezus" out of her.
Mmm. I've read that bettas usually compatible with other fish as long as the other fish don't look too much like bettas and won't nip the betta's fins.

have a back up plan just in case.
Of course, even if it doesn't work out and I don't have anywhere else to put the other fish (I do), I could take them back to a LFS.

theredchaser

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
Healthy bettas can be extremely territorial and can stress out your other fish. Its not really worth the effort to "see" if it works or not because bettas may be peaceful at first but slowly become more aggressive. Also, many owners claim their bettas are peaceful, but they are not watching their bettas all the time.

Cramming fish into a small volume of water doesn't bring me joy but I suppose everyone is different. :frog:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store