Taylor's 12 gallon planted build thread.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scruztaylor

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Are you talking about bulbs from home depot or something? I want whatever it is to look really clean and simple. Can you find me some links to what you are talking about?

nice reef tank!

the coralife fixture is cool, but the dual actnic bulbs are not the way to go, you want dual daylight for the plants. I think there is a current USa model small like that too. personally, I'd keep it low light and use hanging bulbs above it. you can use daylight spiral cfs if you want, shoot a little higher with the wattage with those though, you loose a lot of the light... maybe 2 20w bulbs?

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Are you talking about bulbs from home depot or something? I want whatever it is to look really clean and simple. Can you find me some links to what you are talking about?
If you want lush plant growth you will want co2 and 3-4 watts per gallon (JOM) I would stick with the t5 setup with full spectrum bulbs (this will make for a clean looking setup, again JMO)

can't wait to see it!

scruztaylor

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
If you want lush plant growth you will want co2 and 3-4 watts per gallon (JOM) I would stick with the t5 setup with full spectrum bulbs (this will make for a clean looking setup, again JMO)

can't wait to see it!
I can only find power compacts at this size. Any idea where I can find a 12inch t5 fixture?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
The reef looks outstanding! As you know, any WPG rule is junk (even in FW). PC, T5, and MH will have vastly different spectrum delivery at the same WPG number. If you are going high light regardless of type, you'll want to think seriously about CO2 injection or you will have nothing more than a green water culture. ;)

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Taylor, love the reef tank. Great work!!!

As far as your Nanocube, I agree that the 70W MH lamp is not needed, but if you want a high-tech, challenging setup, you could definitely use it if you want. Amano himself often uses MH... it's just not a challenge that I would personally be up to! LOL. Pressurized CO2 and ferts would be a must for that setup, as you've already seen.

PC or HO T5 are good options as well. I'd lean toward T5s for the same reasons that people choose them in SW tanks over PCs. The WPG "rule" is useless and won't tell you anything, as I'm sure you know... 4 WPG of PC is vastly different than 4 WPG HO T5, etc. Using T5s would probably also put you into CO2/fert dosing territory, depending on the number of bulbs you choose. Your posts seem like you are open to some high-tech options. I'm sure that you'll do fine with that, since you can keep your reef looking so great!

Good luck. :)

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Found a couple non aquarium use. You could go with LED's or stick with the power compact (either or which should work fine) as long as you're getting your wpg and proper light spectrum you should be good to go.

p.s. I can't stop looking at your reef. Absolutely amazing!

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Taylor, love the reef tank. Great work!!!

As far as your Nanocube, I agree that the 70W MH lamp is not needed, but if you want a high-tech, challenging setup, you could definitely use it if you want. Amano himself often uses MH... it's just not a challenge that I would personally be up to! LOL. Pressurized CO2 and ferts would be a must for that setup, as you've already seen.

PC or HO T5 are good options as well. I'd lean toward T5s for the same reasons that people choose them in SW tanks over PCs. The WPG "rule" is useless and won't tell you anything, as I'm sure you know... 4 WPG of PC is vastly different than 4 WPG HO T5, etc. Using T5s would probably also put you into CO2/fert dosing territory, depending on the number of bulbs you choose. Your posts seem like you are open to some high-tech options. I'm sure that you'll do fine with that, since you can keep your reef looking so great!

Good luck. :)
ummmm yeah, what she said :iagree:

scruztaylor

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Yeah I am thinking of doing the Halide and just having it raised higher from the water. Probably switch the 14k to a 10k though.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Good move man, you won't want to use a 14K bulb for a planted tank. 10K would work, or if possible, somewhere in the 6700K range would be good (not sure if you can buy halide bulbs in that spectrum).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store