Taylor's 12 gallon planted build thread.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scruztaylor

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Good move man, you won't want to use a 14K bulb for a planted tank. 10K would work, or if possible, somewhere in the 6700K range would be good (not sure if you can buy halide bulbs in that spectrum).
Yeah the only bad part is the heat coming from it. If I can find a nice 12 inch t5 fixture I might go with that. I hate going from a nice 20k radium bulb to a 6700k bulb. :headshake2:

scruztaylor

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Found a couple non aquarium use. You could go with LED's or stick with the power compact (either or which should work fine) as long as you're getting your wpg and proper light spectrum you should be good to go.

p.s. I can't stop looking at your reef. Absolutely amazing!
Haha thanks dude, that thing is my pride and joy. I am looking for something a little more maintenance free with this setup.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Yeah the only bad part is the heat coming from it. If I can find a nice 12 inch t5 fixture I might go with that. I hate going from a nice 20k radium bulb to a 6700k bulb. :headshake2:
Heat issues are a definite concern here. Honestly I think it would be a lot easier to just go with a T5 fixture if you can find one you like. You'll still need to stay with 10K or 6700K though- no actinics for a planted tank. ;)

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Do you still have the standard deluxe hood that normally comes with the nanocube? That hood is enough to grow just about anything, 2x24w cf lights.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Then personally I'd stick with the viper, just raise it from the tank as high as you can. You'll get a nice shimmer effect from MH that you won't with fluorescent.

As long as you have CO2 and ferts handy, you'll be ok. The aquasoil should keep the tank maintenance free for at least a month or two and then you'll want to start dosing ferts. Inject CO2 right off the bat and get a drop checker to make sure you're not overdosing it.

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers.html

scruztaylor

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Alright I finally got my light last night. I went with this setup and changed the actinic light with another 6700/10000k . So I have 36 watts of half 6700k half 10000k. It even has a nice moonlight ;) I think today I am going to start dosing excel untill I can figure out what I am doing for c02. With that light what would be a cheaper route? I don't mind buying c02 and a regulator but just don't wan't to spend hundreds on it. I am also planning on getting some plants tonight after class. More pics tonight for sure.

• 2x Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 18watt
  • Lunar Light Moon White : 1
  • Product Dimensions : 12" x 7.25" x 2.5"
  • Total Watts : 36 watt
  • Total Amps : 0.21
  • Configuration: D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store