Terrarium :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
In the 3rd picture, it looks like you have a cory in there. Cories like to be in schools of 5 or more, and 5 gallons of water is way too small for the group of cories that the single one would need. Please rehome, or return the cory to a LFS. How hot does that water get?

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
even if you poured ten gallons in it, if the water seeps and settles in the gravel portion then its still ten gallons, but not enough room for fish

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Also i believe that what you have constructed is called a Paludarium

Fuguuuu!
Oct 3, 2008
Spokanistan
www.myspace.com
Don't worry guy's. I'm really not that stupid. I know that nitrates and harmful chemicals don't evaporate. I still do water changes. I just have to add water almost every day. I'm planning on doing weekly water changes just like my fish tanks.

The snake doesn't eat fish. I've heard of them eating fish in the wild, but I find it hard to beleive...

As far as the cory cat goes. He is in more than 5 gallons of water. I'm sure it's a little less than 10 gallons, but still. I'm keeping him in there. He is a happy fish :)

I really had my heart set on dwarf cichlids, but I'd rather not pay 15 dollars for a fish that's not going to survive. Can anyone recommend any other nifty South American fish?

ooh and I'm not sure on the temperate. It's not that warm at all. Probably somewhere in 70's?

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
South American fish? I don't think any will survive in water that cold (or water that changes temperature when the lights are off), but I'd say rosy red minnows (the feeder fish at petstores) or white cloud minnows will work. Plus they are really hardy and tolerate colder water much better than any other small fish that would work in that tank.

Fuguuuu!
Oct 3, 2008
Spokanistan
www.myspace.com
Oh don't worry about the water temperature. I can easily move a heat lamp to increase the temperature or simply buy a small water heater. The only reason I haven't done that yet is because im not sure what kind of fish I'll be keeping.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
A 40 gallon breeder is 36"x18"x16"(LxWxH) you have it at about half water at the footprint and at about 3" deep of water. So in the end it is 18"x18"x3" Using the calculation at the top of this page, the water in that little puddle is 4.21 gallons. Your cory cannot live in that at all. Cories need at least 30 gallons of water with at least 6 of their kind so they can be in a school and not be stressed out. Please return the cory!

The water temp will plummet by about 10 degrees at night because of the light turned off, please do not get anymore fish and return the cory.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
agreed.....that setup is not really suitable to keep fish in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store