The Damsel Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
How old or big were they when this happened. Was anything changed in the tank just prior to him killing his buddy?

Did the aggression come on slow or just one day he decided to kill the other one. Is there anything you can remember about just before the aggression that might give a clue to why they turn?

But enough about that, what were some of the things you did like about him when he behaved? I have noticed that most really loved their Damsel and just wish they would get along.

I added more light to my tank yesterday, and the Damsels did not like it. The Velvet Damsel went into hiding for a half day. She's been a tad cranky today and I hope this passes.

I don't remember anything specific happening in the tank that made my blue devil freak out. My tank was pretty new and they were my first fish (bad advice). It was a Blue Devil that killed a 3 spot domino damsel, so maybe it was a species disagreement thing. I had only 3 fish in a 46, so I don't believe it was a too many fish in to small of an area thing.

What I liked about my blue devil is that he went all over the tank and through the rock work. He would work himself into the tiniest nook and crannies. I have clam shell attached to one of my live rocks. The clam was dead before arriving in my tank but the shell is still in tact with a small opening of the shell. The damsel used to squeeze in there and hang out. I liked him because he used the whole tank and could rocket through the rock work at top speed. The only fish that comes close to that now is my Royal Gramma, which also flies through the rock work but at much slower speeds. If you really want to see just how fast a Damsel is, try to get him/her out of your tank

I also think that Damsels are gorgeous fish.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Come on people. Clowns aren't damsels anymore than damsels are clowns. They're both anemonefish, that much is true, but one is not the other.

I've never heard of anyone selling pairs of damsels before...although it's possible.

However, I used to have a domino that would sneak into my BTA with my clowns at nighttime and host the outer corner of it.

A blue damsel is the only fish I've ever flushed that was healthy. I just didn't want to introduce it into my new tank and my LFS wouldn't take it back.

That blue damsel though, man what a fighter. Attacked tangs, pygmy angels, shrimp, corals, other damsels, clowns, even the glass.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
As much as I wouldn't want one in my tank I don't know if I could do that.
Ive had to euthanise fw fish before, as much as I felt guilty about it it was better than it beating the hell out of all my other fish and killing them off one by one, the only lfs that takes back fish near me deals with cichlids only so I couldnt take the tropicals back

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
as grins says clowns are damsels.....some clowns are really aggressive.....a friend of mine put a maroon in with a tomato clown and the maroon was beat up real bad :(
Dude, putting a maroon in with a tomato is like putting two betas in the same fish bowl, or a purple and a yellow tang in a 50 gallon tank, or worse, putting Donald Trump and Rosie Odonell in the same room! That was doomed from the start! Tomatoes are pure evil in the clown family anyways, IMO. Maroons are not far behind.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Come on people. Clowns aren't damsels anymore than damsels are clowns. They're both anemonefish, that much is true, but one is not the other.
I happen to agree with you Damon, except where Tomatoes and Maroons are concerned. I have watched a Tomato torture a royal gramma with my own eyes in my friends 75 gallon. That Tomato is one of the nastiest fish I have ever seen in my entire life, he calls him rocky, and for good reason, no one goes on that side of the tank with him and his nem. That thing is huge and fears nothing.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ive had to euthanise fw fish before, as much as I felt guilty about it it was better than it beating the hell out of all my other fish and killing them off one by one, the only lfs that takes back fish near me deals with cichlids only so I couldnt take the tropicals back
I've had to euthanize one that was in pain before (not my own) and it was hard. It was the right thing to do, but still hard.

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
My friend had a maroon in a 180 and a huge sailfin tang and some smaller fish. Even the tang kept his distance from the maroon. I've been lucky enough to find homes for my damsels, most of the pet stores have been good at taking back "mistake" fish (three damsels and two clarki clowns). Although I could not find one to take my rock grouper and I couldn't kill it (finally found a friend that fell in love with it). I even offered a couple of pet stores 10 dollars just to take it and they still wouldn't. I love that azure damsel, he looks cool, I just don't want any more experiences with damsels.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Yes these guys are interesting. I added more light a few days back and that really seems to upset the damsels. First the yellow tail started chasing himself in the glass, and now the velvet started too.

I reworked the rocks yesterday for the scooter, and today they seem better. Still chasing themselves in the glass. They have been picking on the coral more, so I figure moving things around might help, and it did to a little effect.

But now I have some passages and smaller places and I fully understand about them swimming around and through the rock. Now I am even more motivated to aquascape with my custom rockwork for them. I have better ideas too :)

The Grettal seems to be less interested in chasing off Hansel, hasn't picked on the blenny whatsoever, and still nibbles at the algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store